1988 Chevy Van Trans-pan drop

M

Mo

It's a 1988 Chevy Van 1/2 ton. Has a 5.7L V8 with a 700R4 transmission. When dropping the tranny pan it is blocked by the transmission crossmember at the rear of the pan and by the exhaust crossover pipe at the front. Is there a trick to geting the pan off or does the crossmember need removed? Or the exhaust dropped? Thanks.

Jim Davis

If its not jammed too much, sometimes just unbolting the trans mount from the crossmember and raising the trans and inch or so will give you room enough too wiggle the pan out.

crunch

wrench
Welcome to Bat.
As Jim said remove mount and try it.
Just have a big or bigger pan to catch the fluid.
The exhaust pipe does not have to come off.

M

Mo

Well, I tried the tranny mount and jacked up the tranny, it still wouldn't clear enough so I pulled the passengers side bolt and swung the crossmember down enough to get the pan out. I was careful and didn't get a bath. Changed the filter, new pan gasket and added my old fluid up and came up with 2.5 quarts is all that came out when I dropped the pan!!! Crossed my fingers and buttoned it up and added 4 quarts just to get it off my ramps. When it was warmed up I topped it to the dipstick full mark and test drove it. Voila!! Shifts like a new one! As I find out the slight reddish in the old fluid was 2 quarts added a few days ago so it has been operating at least 3 or more quarts low for who knows how long! On top of that the Mother-in Law doesn't ever recall doing a tranny service on it! It shows 80,149 on the odometer! Sometimes women and machinery are akin to oil and water....they just don't mix! Anyways, I'm a hero for the time being..........Thanks all!