1990 Mazda Protege - No fwd or reverse

T

Tobias

Hello,

I was driving my 1990 Mazda protege (SOHC - Auto) up a hill today and it just quit.
It was like it went into neutral.

My first thought was that I had lost fluid, but the dipstick showed normal.

It makes a slight whining sound if I put it in gear (but no movement at all)
Then when I turn it off it makes a sound as the RPM stops.

Any thoughts?

T

Tobias

OK, where to next?

Are you aware if this is a common problem with these cars?
Is it worth trying to fix?
Should I get a junkyard trany to put in it and sell it?

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Yes common, common enough that a used trans will probably be busted too. I recommend fixing it but you have to be comfortable with that option for me to help you. You actually will be the one taking it apart. If you are not comfortable with that option then the only ones left is Jasper type or a good shop or scrap the vehicle. Post back, Transman

T

tobias

Re: 1990 protege transmission

Transman,

I would be extremely grateful for your help.
I spent today clearing a corner of the garage to work in.
Next I will be pulling the drive shafts.

Tobias

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Before you yank this thing out... Take a few minutes to pull the accumulators out and look at them for big issues, broken springs or pistons, etc. pay close attention to placement and color as well as direction of each one. There are 4 and can easily be mixed up causing all sorts of problems. The accumulators are just behind the bell housing on top of the transmission and held in with snap rings (Caution! wear safety glasses! One of these is under enough pressure to go flying across the room. It won't take your fingers off but it really comes flying out of the hole. Draw a picture and get the atsg or atra book on this trans. They are pretty good at step by step. You should have the F4A-EL not the G4 in this vehicle, count the number of pans as identification is very important before you order parts. Post back, Transman