1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Auto Trans

Scotty

Im about to buy a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback with a auto transmission. Im planning to replace it since the one in the car is slipping. What type of auto transmission will work for the D15B2 Engine?? Im planning to put a used transmission in. the one in the car now is slipping or can be shot if i pull the pan down on it to see whats wrong. I havent seen the car yet, mileage is unknown yet and the engine doesnt run due to a broken timing belt. i will be buying it on May 6, 2007 for $250. I need to know what auto trans that will fit that car and engine. Thanks Scotty. ???

crunch

wrench
2 or 4 wheel drive?

Always check tag on old transmission.
L4= 2W drive ML4A
S5=4W drive MPSA

Bone yards should have a interchange book on what will interchange for/with it.

Scotty

Crunch, it is a 2wd aka front wheel drive. thanks for the info, Scotty :thx

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Agreed on the interchange book, look for the tag on the trans. '91 should be a gold sticker with silver writing, but it might be a white sticker. Look for letters and it's usually the first 4, ie. MAXA. Those letters tell all along with the engine size and year.
P.S. you have a drain plug on these units, no pan. Good Luck, Transman

Scotty

thanks for the info transman!! i hope that draining the transmission will tell me the cause of the slipping. Im going to buy the car on May 6th, 2007. then the weekend after that, were going to tear into it. would waterly transmission fluid cause the slipping or the flush will clear it out?? just couscous if will solve it. Like i said in the first post, mileage is unknown. I will update in a few weeks on this topic. thanks for u alls help!! Scotty :thx

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
If it really has water in it then don't even attempt to drain and drive. Water explodes the clutches by turning to steam and once that happens the "hard parts" start eating it. Fix it before you kill all the parts inside or replace it before you have to walk. Hopefully it is just low on fluid and honda has a funny way of filling the trans. You check the fluid with the engine off but within a minute of shutting it off, if low then add some and repeat the process. Too many people don't know how to check fluid in a honda and therefore many don't get filled properly. Good Luck, Transman

Scotty

my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am had transmission fluid that was in the car since new with 150,000 miles that had the consisty of water almost. There wasnt any water in it. it was causing the transmission to slip between 1st and 2nd gears. When i had it serviced, it was better since the transmission fluid was alot thicker than what was in there. It wasnt leaking at all. But i had to add a pint of transmission fluid every 2 weeks until i got it for a full service transmission fluid change ( filter, tranny fluid, and gasket ). I know that transmission fluid breaks down over time, and its like an acid to ur auto transmission. im planning to change out the fluid on the Honda to see if it will help the transmission from slipping. It probably never been changed since new. That might solve it. Im on vacation right now, and im planning to get the car now on April 28th and get started on it on April 29th. I will update as the progress goes on. thanks Scotty ;D

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Scotty, I can appreciate that it had the consistency of water but water has different chemical properties and inside a trans is a true disaster. Old fluid is a different matter and we do wish to service it regularly to keep it from breaking down. Glad the service helped you but it is simply a matter of time if water is truly inside your trans. For the Honda, make sure you use the Honda fluid and I recommend right from the dealer. Transman

Scotty

Transman, do u have an idea what does the Honda Transmission Fluid would run me per quart?? How much fluid would be needed for the job?? thanks for the tip! Scotty :D

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The average Honda uses up to 8 quarts, totally empty. A drain and fill should take 2 to 3 quarts and it is about $6 a quart at the dealer, not a real big expense. Be glad it isn't an E4OD where the pan drop alone is 2 to 3 gallons! Remember this trans is the exception to the rule, you check the level with the engine off. Good Luck and Glad to have been able to help, Transman

Scotty

thanks for the info! now i got a big jump on the job that i will be starting on April 29th! I'll post back in a few weeks on the results of the job. thanks a bunch, Scotty ;D

LynnM

Fix the timing belt first- make sure the engine is good, If the fluid is that bad you may want to do your initial fluid change & change it again in 2-3 weeks

Scotty

thats what im planning to do first. I got the parts on order right now to get it running. thanks Scotty

Scotty

heres the update: i took a look at the car on Satuday, April 28th. the owner told me that when the car is cold ( like sitting all nite), the trans will not shift into 2nd gear until it makes a " POP" noise, then it is fine all day. what can be the the cause of it?? i didnt get to look at the fluid in it. thanks Scotty