1992 Lexus LS400, warning light "airbag: stays on the time when key is on.

Phil J

Make
Lexus
Model
LS400
Year
Miles
Engine
V8
airbag warning light on. tried to run obd 1 cross pin but the engine light flashed with out stopping. will the airbag light show with an error code? Owned this car from new, has just under 80.000 miles.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The light may flash indefinitely, but have you tried to detect the spacing between the flashes, as explained below to decode the flashes?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am real certain this is the wrong approach. You cant get code on airbag from a obd1 connector on this car.

You need to jump Tc and E1 of lexus connector in hood area.

Using the obd1 connector is useless.

I remember this back when I was apprenticing. Yeah, in 92. Boy you have had this car for a long while. Kudos. ;)

Here is a diagram on how to get the air bag codes,

Once you get em and post back, I will post a trouble shoot.

Hope this pdf helps to get in comm with airbag module.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At bill, you were almost there, just wrong connector, and trouble codes .net didnt mention Tc to E1 cuz it is focused on engine codes.

But kudos on that, as usual, Billr is on the ball.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sorry if I implied that SRS codes could be read from the CEL flashes; I was thinking that the basic OBD1 codes would include ones that indicate something like "ABS/Trans/SRS codes present". A hint that you need to go further

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
Toyota besides Lexus also made my 1988 Supra Turbo, fortunately no airbags, also no diagnostic plug, to read codes for different functions have to do strange things and the only way to remember how to do this, is to read the shop manual.

Could remember this 30 years ago, but forgot, believe you need a shop manual, seen some in ebay in the 140-200 buck range. When I purchased my Supra new, only place to get shop manuals was from Toyota, and recall the full set, was $200.00 that would be over 400 bucks today. But paid for themselves compared to what Toyota charges.

Unlike crap from Ford or GM, tells precisely how to test every sensor.

NickD

wrench
Ha, on a 98 Ford ZX2 had to open and close the driver's door ten times to program a remote. These software guys do ave a sense of humor.

Phil J

Nickb2, Thanks for your tips, these were right on. Got code 41 with some research found that if cluster removed and ignition switch turned on the air bag light will stay on. Did the code 41 wire dance and the code was cleared and the air bag light stays off like it should. Thanks again.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Nickb2, Thanks for your tips, these were right on.
Great, happy for that.

since it 4am, I am going to give my brain a break, but I do have a nagging question in my mind. I may have read this wrong. But my brain is going by memory here.

If the air bag LIGHT on this model (again, disclaimer, memory) is under the tach needle. How can the light stay on if you have removed the cluster?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I'm probably having a 4 am bacon eating brain fart and the answer is probably staring me right in the face.

Anyway, thx for posting a :fixed:

Those are always highly appreciated.

Have the best new year you wish for and more.

ok now I need coffee. :eek:

billr

wrench
Staff member
There was a "report to admin" recently, either by Phil J or nickb2. I can't tell which, and why the report. Can either of you clarify who and why the report? Do it by PM if you prefer.

Phil J

I had taken the cluster out to repair the back light in the cluster. While it was out of the car the ignition was turned and I believe the car was started for some reason I don’t really remember why. Cluster replaced and after a few minuets of driving the air bag light came on. I did not relate the two together. I read this on a Lexus forum that if these things happened the light would come on and stay on.
The code 41 was cleared and all is working properly. Hope this clears things up. Thanks again for the help.