1994 Camry - Head Gasket Starting to Leak

Camry with 89520 miles starting to leak at head gasket. Took to a repair shop and they cleaned off oil from engine and used 'dye' with black light to determine locations of leak. Their estimate is $1400 to repair (10 hrs labor and $250 for Complete Top Gasket Kit). I decided against spending this large amount of money and will instead use a heavy oil (20W/50) and keep a close check on the level of my oil. Car is kept in Florida and is run only 2000 miles over a 4 month period of time each year. I want to keep this car for at least 10 years without any major cost hits.

Is there another, better way to solve my leak problem ? And am I being realistic in being able to keep this car for 10 years ?

Thanks for your help.

if you have an oil leak,whether or not it is the head gasket,a heavier oil will not help you.how fast is it going through oil?are you seeing oil on the driveway?

opelgt

Realistically keep it for 10 years without any major expenses..... and a head gasket leak to boot? Its time for a reality check. You might get 2-3 years with an oil leak from the head gasket. As long as you flush the coolant regularly, replace the thermostat, change the oil regularly, make sure the engine NEVER overheats, and go to church every Sunday. Having the car sit for extended periods is not a good thing with old coolant as the coolant acidity level increases as the coolant breaks down and that acidity will eat away at the head gasket and cause a major headgasket failure. One that will cost even more if not caught in time and the motor is damaged.
Just my $.02