1995 & 1997 Crown Victoria P71 cars

yonada

Hi, all!

My wife bid on (and got) 2 ex-police units at auction. They were inexpensive enough, one is an ex-black & white, the other was an undercover car. I was surprised to find the 1995 had OBD-II, but that was just a plus.

The black & white has no problems, but I have been getting a code P0171 and P0174 (System Too Lean Bank 1 and Bank 2) on the undercover unit. I read a post about a 1992 Lincoln, so I will try to remember what I read on that. But any help will be appreciated anyway!

Are the 1995 and 1997 similar enough that the information in any place be useful, or do I need separate data for each? Also, does the Police Interceptor version require special fuel, or just plain old 87 octane?

Michael

Jim Davis

Clean the MAF in the air intake, check for any vacuum leaks, especially around the intake manifold & hoses for the codes.

yonada

Hi, all!

Once again, the tips here are AWESOME!!!!! This morning at work I decided to take a look at things, I prioritized it by what I could do as far as inspecting stuff (and also looking at what cleaning the MAF sensor might entail) first.

I started looking around and didn't see much at first, so I looked at the label on the car that showed the vacuum hose routing. A lotof abbreviations, but there are not very many vacuum hoses compared with what I remember on some of the cars in the late 70's and early 80's. I think my Fairmont had three times as many hoses as the Crown Vic!

I was looking on the back side of the engine with a light when I noticed what looked like maybe a small hose was unplugged. I went into the bus mechanics tool kit and found an inspection mirror, and it appeared to me there was a hole in something. The plastic pipe that ran from the back of the engine to the PCV valve had a small hose on each end, the one in back had a pencil eraser sized hole in it.

Replaced it and cleared the codes, so far so good, no reappearence of the codes on the way home, so I am optimistic that this was the problem.

Thanks again for the help. You guys are AWESOME!

Yonada

There may be a label under the fuel gauge that denotes premium fuel or maybe in the filler neck, after you pop open the gas door.

We had a '92 it required Premium due to programming changes and a Superchip.

Don't cut any of the blue silicone hoses in the engine compartment, we had a terrible time getting a replacement coolant over-flow hose. you can get the regular rubber ones but the silicon is hard to come by.

Enjoy them they are a blast. My wife's was all white with - get this - a 3/4 white vinyl roof, 6 CD- changer and regular cloth rear seats (ex - Sheriff's personal car).

yonada

Hi, all!

Just to let you know that all is well with the Crown Victoria. Actually, both of them. The check engine light came on on the black and white as well, and believe it or not, it was the same hose in the same place.

The bus mechanic got me some very high temp vacuum hose (I think it is silicone) and I replaced the smal lhose on both cars. Codes gone, no recurrence, cars are driving awesome. Sold the black and white, so just have the 1995. I checked with the police department they came from, the lead mechanice there said the cars were run on 87 octane from day one.

He was a bit jealous that I got the 1995, he actually had tried to get the car but was told it was going to be auctioned off, and he did not know where.

Thanks for the help on this one.

Got another issue, but it's a different car.

Yonada