1995 Ford Windstar transmission not engaging / slipping

My vehicle is a 1995 ford windstar with 3.8L engine, automatic transmission.

Problem: does not always engage forward when in drive from a stop, and slips or shifts harshly into 1st and then into 2nd gear, no problem when starting in 2nd, or in reverse

Error Codes Present: P0500 and P1784

The following technical service bulletin describes a similar problem, and I would like to read it to see if it provides possible solutions.

TSB #980304 -- INTERMITTENT NO FORWARD ENGAGEMENT WITH OR WITHOUT DTC P1784 ACTION. *AK (NHTSA ID #607705, JANUARY 01 1998)

I'm a mechanical engineer so I won't have trouble reading through the technical document myself if someone could send me an electronic copy
If anyone has some advise or insight from a hands on mechanical perspective I'd really appreciate your input on what should be done.

Cheers,

Triguy

It is going to take a lot more than a NASTA tsb to fix it.
Them things are far out in left field.
Some are even made up from old maids whims. :)

I would start with one of these.
It has all the good factory tsb's and repair info on it.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Code 500 is a speedometer signal problem.

Code 1784 is a internal mechanical problem.

Find out and fix where the VSS signal problem is.
That may help on shifting.
Clear codes and see what comes back.
If code 1784 comes back it going to be major reapir.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Agreed here. These transmissions had engineering problems with the forward drum, to date 14th revision, plus they had problems with the valve body. Specifically the forward apply valve would push right through the retainer. Get the speedo problem fixed first and all other problems might just go away. If the trans computer does not know how fast you are going then it simply does not know which gear it should be in. Post back, Transman