1997 Dodge Dakota Sport Rumbling

mahplane

Ive got a 1997 dodge dakota sport v-6 when I turn the steering wheel just right of center it makes a rumbling noise at all speeds
turning left or going straight there is no noise, I just purchased it and it had a bad power steering leak ,it was empty when i drove it home ,so i changed the pump and a line to fix it thought it might be the rack and pinion unit is fried from no fluid but thought id get your opinion first thanks mark

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Although it is possible and very likely the rack is bad, what kind of fluid did you put in when you changed the pump? Did you flush the system and refill it with the proper spec fluid? Transman

mahplane

Didnt flush the system just put in the specified fluid chevron brand i guess there could be metal in the system or something i dont know what do u think mark

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This one is a hard call on my part, you could try flushing it, the valves inside are sensitive and easily stuck. On the assumption that you have nothing to lose but the fluid you ran through to try to flush it and your time. You did check for loose front end components right? Ball joints, tie rods? Post back, Transman

mahplane

Yeah didnt find anything loose on the front end ,if it was the rack and pinion and it was bypassing would it make that noise when the vehicle was stationary and turning the steering wheel ? thanks mark

B

bonehead

it ended up being the left wheel bearing hub thaks for all your help