1997 Ignition switch

P

Pepe

Hi fellas I am working on a 1997 Jetta I am looking for picture of the ignition switch, If anybody has a copy or can send me a copy will be great. Thanks in advance Pepe

Are you trying to replace it or just need a pic of it?....here is one...Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

P

Pepe

Re: Volkswagen 1997 Ignition switch

Yes I am a little confuse, where is this located at? I already remove all steering components except for the aluminum piece housing where the key is attached. that says I need a special tool to remove it

Jim Davis

if its the lock cyl you have to drill in a certain spot. have a manual, but no way to show it. Im sure Jim will set you on the right path.

P

Pepe

The electrical part Jim, I think the aluminum housing pices needs to be removed to get acess to the switch, Does this sound right to you?
???

Jim Davis

from my info, it says the ignition switch is located at the bottom of the ignition key cylinder body. and you have to remove the cylinder to get to the switch.

Yes it is..here is a pic of it...The ignition switch is plugged into the part on the right side that has the letter "A"....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

P

pepe

Re: 1997 Volks Ignition switch

Thats exactly what I was looking for.... you guys are awsome!! everytime Ive log in into this site with questions you guys always have the answers. Very helpfull.

Now when removing the spline adapter sleeve with the special tool, Does the sleeve just slides out or is there some kind of ring lock, clip etc..

This is what it says about the adapter sleeve.... 1 Removing Splined Adapter Sleeve

Only use puller with leg clamp (e.g. Kukko 204/2 commercial type)...............Jim

wire

you need to remove the steering column.....entirely.

there's a philips-head screw that holds the ign switch in the column.

you'll see it when the column is in a vise upside down.

P

Pepe

Today after work I tried pulling off the sleeve spline with three different pullers and could not do it unless you have the right one for VW only. up to now I am up to this point I found this picture in another site. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1528484
I am gueesing why "WIRE" mention to remove the whole column entirely, The tool cost from 150-200 dlls.