1998 5.9limited 46re howling like a b!tch only when accelerating or holding throttle steady...... ????

Wess

Make
Jeep
Model
Grand cherokee
Year
Miles
Engine
1998 5.9limited 46re howling like a b!tch only when accelerating or holding throttle steady...... ???? First 46re problem ive ever had! I've always ran manuals in my rigs. But the last two autos have been 46re and been great! This one was great for about a yr after it was rebuilt and then about 2months agothis started. It shifts fine! No rattles or mechanical sounds just loud howling.... and only 1time when I was at about 45° incline it didn't wanna move unless I put it in 1st manually. Since then it's shiftings been fine, other than howling.... any help???

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... did it howl before you got it on the 45 degree incline and it lost most of the gears?

Wess

Yes it howled before I put it on the 45. I was loading onto a tractor trailer. Backing up it was fine but pulling it forward it didn't wanna move. I daily it like this till my other ride is going. But it don't effect performance it's just really loud and annoying. Trying to quiet it back down!!! It slowly got louder over the last 2months and seems to be holding at this level the past 3weeks

Wess

Yes it howled before I put it on the 45. I was loading onto a tractor trailer. Backing up it was fine but pulling it forward it didn't wanna move. I daily it like this till my other ride is going. But it don't effect performance it's just really loud and annoying. Trying to quiet it back down!!! It slowly got louder over the last 2months and seems to be holding at this level the past 3weeks
Expanding on this.... It struggled driving forward onto the trailer but later on I tried to back it on and worked just fine....

billr

wrench
Staff member
A whine/howl makes me think of cavitation at the suction side of the pump. A "Hail Mary" play would be to replace the filter (and fluid).

Wess

A whine/howl makes me think of cavitation at the suction side of the pump. A "Hail Mary" play would be to replace the filter (and fluid).
Thanks! I was actually just watching videos on that. And supposedly that's a really common problem with howling on these 46re is bad filter clogging

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You may want to remove the valve body while your there and let it soak in a solution for a night or two if you have a second ride.

Maybe one of the check ball/valve for 1st to second, hence the howling noise. From memory, no gasket needed for valve body removal. But plz mind the connectors to the solenoids, they get brittle with age. Here is a link to help you with the valve body removal.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
However, I do like the idea of removing the filter and such, but before you try that hail mary, try a can oif this stuff, it may help desolve some of the varnish. An old member here was huge fan of this stuff, put some of this stuff in there, drive it for while and then do the fluid change.

Not my writing.

Sea Foam's Trans Tune works fast to reliquefy varnish deposits from valve bodies, solenoids and shift actuators. Before you spend $$$$ on a new transmission, try adding a can of Trans Tune to your fluid filler – super easy! Also works great as a fluid cleaner and conditioner, or as a pre-flush cleaner.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Key words here

PRE flush cleaner.

Dont drive it for a long time, check your dipstick once in a while, if it is getting darker, time to flush.

A back flush of cooler is also recommended, especially if you use the truck as you describe.

Also, you did mention this was rebuilt unit, what rebuild parts etc where used. Our resident trans guy, and no that is not a joke, well he could probably tell you what is wrong just by ear, and I am mostly a diagnostic guy, so when it comes to mopar tyranny, especially the electric ones, not a fan at all.

But mostly what gets me here, is the mention of the word HOWLING.

For me, a northern guy, when I say my tranny is howling, look for bad bearing, drum friction, etc. Cuz for me, howling is like a wolf, and normally when a client says its howling, would have to actuallly hear it.

Tons of questions come to mind,may be the transfer case, I know this a probably a hard ask, but if you have acces to a lift, try to recreate that sound and use a stethoscope , 20bucks on ebay or amazone

I have had mine for over 30 yrs maybe, first thing I bought when a old mentor of mine said try this.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, before I forget and sound like a bag pipe, welcome wess.

I was an apprentic for mopar back then, started there in 96 or so, did grave yard shift, and I have to say, mopar trannys back then sucked large. quebec is hard on these. Only reason grave yard shift existed back then was cuz mopar sucked at auto trans. Put a manual in there, bullet proof engines,

So, as billr said, hail mary it, or just go for a brand new unit. Essentially, it will come down to what I wrote, have to hear it, localize it, if it is howling under load, or just freewheeling it etc

Uploading videos here is hard. Some have tried doing that via utube, that helps. wink. ;)

Also, scanning the jeep back then was pretty easy, look for trans slippage codes.

Now I am sounding like like grand papa, I dont know your resources. but having access to a live data stream of the trans, would be awesome here.

@ time of howl, what is relationship to input and output shaft sensors?.

Wess

Thanks man. I'll try to look at the data. I'll have to barrow my buddy's scanner to see the live data. Thanks. I'll probably just be going Hail marry at this point. And then if no beano then a new trans. It's so loud and annoying!!! I'm done with it!!!! It still drives great! Even pulling 18,000lbs on a tractor trailer!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
HIHI, hoho, you don't know me yet. I knew there was a tsb for this back in the day, describes exactly your symptoms.

wink

nod

etc

link here

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
working loading

not my writing, just me trying to be assiduous and covering angles.

key words howling

030599 - AXLE DIAGNOSIS
Date:
09/24/99
Model year(s): 1999-2000
Description: Diagnosis of the vehicle axle
Details: A sound may appear to be coming from the general area of the vehicle axle(s). The sound may be described as a growl, howl, or a whine. They may occur at different vehicle or engine speeds. They may also occur during different axle loading conditions i.e light driving, heavy driving, float, cruise or coast.
A correct and thorough diagnosis of the axle condition is perhaps the most important tool that the technician has in effecting a successful axle service. Because the transmission of an axle-like sound may be due to vehicle components other than the axle, a good diagnostic procedure is necessary in determining if the condition can be corrected by service to the internal axle components. Proper diagnosis may lead the technician to vehicle components other than the axle.

Alot of this stuff is coming back to me now like an old celine dion song.

One of my best tricks, put a apprentice in car, hope he knows what I am about to say, gun engine, full on throttle, let freewheel and stop engine without pressing brake, repeat until you have ascertained it is not coming from a drive-train issue, if still howls once engine and trans down, bingo, didn't need to call sherlock.

Diagnostics is an elimination things before the hail mary.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
why am I taking so much time to explain something.

Cuz just by the fact that you took the time to actually respond, with coherency, means you deserve my attention, but mostly, you get the attention of old school guys, not some noob who just got off his grand turismo game. wink.

Guys like you Wess, are the meat and bones of a site like this. Dwindling thing..

Also, another un-wrote rule here is post back the fix, it helps others.

wink\