1998 5.9limited 46re howling like a b!tch only when accelerating or holding throttle steady...... ????

Mobile Dan

wrench
I was a Dodge/Jeep mastertech in 1998- 2001. Lots of noisy rear differentials in Grand Cherokee during those years. Many were still under warranty.

Wess

Btw (dana 60 and sterling 10.5)Just rebuilt the axle because that's what I thought first. But that sound stopped its definitely trans now. It's only when I'm on the throttle or holding speed. As soon as I let off it stops unless it's downshifting then stops again..... I haven't found much about the torque converter.... but alot of things point to the pump clogging at the filter... like only makes the whining/howling sound on throttle and cruising at speed. As soon as I'm off throttle it stops! I haven't been able to recreate the 45 angle problem since the first time it happened.

Mobile Dan

wrench
That's a big Jeep. Is it 4WD? AWD? Some kind of suspension lift? If so, a transfer case, driveshaft, u-joint, or mount could be the source of the noise. I'll bet your tires make a different noise.

Last edited:

Wess

98 5.9l with a 46RE.
T-case is 231D(1/2 ton case)
From a Dodge Ram 2500.

Axles from 03 f-250 superduty trussed and linked
3.73 Front and rear gears.

Chromoly built axles/hubs

35x12.50x18 tires

Custom Tom's drive shafts front and rear

Triangulated 4 linked rear 3link fron

Steering is front the f-250,

ABS pump was bypassed and the master cylinder is from a Dodge Durango.

Engine rebuilt by mopar in Jacksonville FL. Top end port and polished and all internals are stage 2 from mopar in Jacksonville FL

Mobile Dan

wrench
I suppose you have listened for transmission noise if you put transmission in "D" with transfer case in neutral? I would expect that at idle speed, trans would shift up through each gear. CAUTION!! Shut off key to stop test and let engine and drivetrain parts stop rotating and come to a standstill before moving shift lever to "Park".

Wess

I suppose you have listened for transmission noise if you put transmission in "D" with transfer case in neutral? I would expect that at idle speed, trans would shift up through each gear. CAUTION!! Shut off key to stop test and let engine and drivetrain parts stop rotating and come to a standstill before moving shift lever to "Park".
You know I don't think I've tested with tcase in neutral! Thanks I will try it.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Another variation of this test would be to start engine, quickly shift to Low, and then you can control the upshift by moving shifter to 2, 3, D.

Wess

You know I don't think I've tested with tcase in neutral! Thanks I will try it.
Yea so definitely not trans if I did the test right it sounds fine! I'm guessing rear end! Guess it's time to go 5.13s and lockers front/rear!

Mobile Dan

wrench
My suggested test would be most meaningful if the result was "Transmission/Transfer makes a bad noise." If there was no bad noise heard, you have consider the fact that rotating parts were spinning, but there was no load on those parts. So, a bearing problem might not be noticeable (got headers?) but hydraulic pump noise would probably still be heard.