Lexus
Model
LS400
Year
Miles
~85K
Engine
1UZ-FE
I'm using the 1998 Toyota factory service manual (FSM) as a guide.

I need some help and clarification regarding intake manifold removal. I have the intake manifold unbolted and I can partially raise it off the heads. However, there's something preventing the rear of the manifold from lifting far enough to clear the mounting studs. What's back there that remains to be removed? It's not the Rear Water Bypass Joint (I don't think there's a way to remove this with the manifold in place anyway). But never say never....

The manifold installation steps (reading the steps for cylinder head installation) has the Rear Water Bypass being installed before the intake manifold. So it appears that that the water bypass does not need to be removed before the intake manifold can come off.

Someone told me that there's a clamp bolted to the back of the manifold that holds the fuel line (that connects both fuel rails) that needs to come off. No mention of this in the FSM. I'm not positive, but I think this clamp is used on earlier model years (??)

I've highlighted and attached the relevant pages from the FSM.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated - Paul O.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
highlighted 19 and 22, sure, need to heed manual.

Would you rather alldata, cuz looks like your using mitchell. That is a great software.

So in essence, what is your question?

Someone told me that there's a clamp bolted to the back of the manifold that holds the fuel line (that connects both fuel rails) that needs to come off. No mention of this in the FSM. I'm not positive, but I think this clamp is used on earlier model years (??)

This one is easy.

PCV mabe?

Anyway. Screenshot (42).png

I'm a driveway DIY that's just stupid enough to be dangerous. The only scan tools I have are an old OTC that I inherited after my father after he passed (he was an independent for +45 years) and a more current Harbor Freight scan tool that will read generic engine and ABS codes and give me data streams.

I only use TIS to download factory documentation for the cars I own. I can't justify the out-of-pocket expense now. When TIS was essentially just a click-on-the-symptom flow chart and document library, a subscription was affordable.

A few years ago I purchased a 2-day access and took some time to download the service manual for the LS and any other docs that were available at the time.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But if I was you, I would go for a mongoose, or even better, clone it.

Either way, you still get access to j2534 protocol.

But beware, the mongoose has two interfaces, one of which only supports three OS's, so that is to consider.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If ever you do decide to buy an interface that goes very well with the paid for TIS you say you bought for factory info, you can use that login to use this sort of interface to do almost every high end dealer level stuff on a dime.

If ever you are interested, ask around here, alot of useful guy's. I am one of them. If ever you need up and running advice, I will most happily try to help.

If so, when I am done with you, you may just want to buy a newer lexus, they are fun with a cool laptop interface. I had fun with my sisters 2007 is 250 awd. That is untill she "upgraded" to a 2015 yaris. My sister pissed me off cuz she traded in the lexus without asking me. SO I got no action there. Anyway, long story, and not what this thread is about. But hey, with me, you never know what stupidity I may throw.

@ work, I use two pro interfaces, one of which can be cloned. Drewtech is recommended by the toyota servers. That is why I like it.

So, before I discombobulate this thread more, plz feel free to ask me anytime if you would like more info on elm 327s, j2534 interfaces to buy and how to proceed once you have made the jump.

:cool: https://mega.nz/#!dOgSVCCQ!LxkmMirp5_XYMuFMjoBrmc4Wv5qd-69h3vfWei7cf7g