1998 Olds Eighty Eight LS slips

S2261

1998 Olds 3800. 54k miles. Runs great and shifts smoothly when cold. After it gets warm it kind of chuggles (right term?) shifting to 2nd 3rd. Also after warm from a dead stop, if I floor it, or get on it hard, it hesitates and grabs really hard. Any thoughts on the issue?

1983FJ60

time for a rebuild. the piston seals have gotten hard. when the fluid is cold it is thicker once the fluid thins it will leak past the seals causing your "chuggle". when you mash it the fluid slips past causing the hesitation untill the pump starts making big pressure to force piston to seal. the used car lot trick is to add a couple tablespoons of brake fluid to the trans the brake fluid is alcohol based so it will attack the seals and soften them up eventually they will go out so know its only a temporary fix if it even works. you wont be able to tell results untill a few days later once it has thoroughly blended in.

S2261

Wow. That's not good. How can that be after only 54k? Obviously not a DIY job.

JackC

wrench
We do not seem to have our resident Transmission expert here anymore, and I am certainly not one.

Having said that, I would want to try a 10 oz. bottle of LubeGuard automatic transmission protectant (red bottle) because it has been recommended many times here. It may help and can not hurt.

S2261

I haven't owned it very long or driven it very much, so I have no idea what is in the trans for fluid. I'm going to drain and refill this weekend. I'll add the lubegard and hope it smooths out.

S2261

Drained 6 quarts of fluid and replaced with Pennzoil brand Dexron III. I also drained what was in the trans cooler in the radiator. Replaced filter. There was a fair amount of gray film inside the pan. The filter I pulled out did not have any brand markings or stampings. That makes me think it was not original. so the fluid could have been some cheapo universal fluid. Refilled and added one bottle lubegard red. I drove it in to work this morning and it did not do what it had been doing. I realize 20 miles is not much of a test so i'll give it a week or so before I say it worked.

S2261

Re: 1998 Olds Eighty Eight LS slips-update

Well, it's been about 1000 miles. At about 750 I drained a gallon of fluid and replaced with new. It is much better, however it is not perfect. If I don't get on it, it shifts normal at all temps. If I drive aggressively it kind of stalls going into gear when hot.