1999 alero won't start

rdf57

Hello everybody;

rdf57

messed up and hit wrong key. the car has service light and security light flashing. I haven't got to check the service code yet. The car started this a couple years ago but it happened when you killed the car and then tried to restart the car. You could wait 15 min. and it would restart. The security light was always on then. This time it would not start in the morning. This is my daughters car and when I got to it later it still would not start. I removed the neg. bat. cable for about 15 sec. replaced it and the car started. The next day it would not start and hasn't started since. The bat. cable trick didn't work again. The history of the car is vague but I do believe its been wrecked. She has had the car about four years. I will get the service codes tommorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rick

Ford_Dude

wrench
Got any aftermarket alarms, keyless entry, or other devices ?

Ford_Dude

Gus

wrench
Passlock module and lock cylinder....probably have a code B2958 or B2960 set....

Temporary fix: Pull ebrake, so lights won't come on...battery has to be fully charged, if not, install a jumper box....crank car, it will start and die.....DO NOT TURN KEY OFF....leave in the "on" position.....SECURITY or THEFT light will flash.......leave key on for 10 minutes.....when light goes out, turn key off for 5 seconds.....then see if car starts.....

M

MikeP

Gus:

Obviously a trick to temporarily bypass the passkey system, but takes time so thieves can't really do it.. Sweet.. I've never heard of this before, but I've often wondered how screwed I could be if my passkey system took a dump while away from home.. Please clairfy one step, please. What do you mean by "pull the ebrake" ?? Thanks.. Mike

rdf57

Thanks Gus; The temp. fix worked. The service code is P0141; what is this? What is the perm. fix ; Passlock mod.? MikeP Gus meant to set the Parking Brake. Once again thanks a bunch. Waiting to hear on code. Great Job guys!!!!!!!! Rick

Gus

wrench
You read Powertrain codes in the PCM...you need to read Body codes in the BCM....

The reason I said pull the e-brake before turning the key, was, this will prevent your automatic headlights from coming on(if you are parked in the shade or a garage).....this puts less of a draw on the battery for 10 minutes....

The Procedure is actually the relearn procedure when you replace the Passlock module.....this learns the new R-code in the module....

P0141 is a seperate problem....