Make
dodge
Model
ram 1500
Year
Miles
Engine
3.9l
i took my truck to work everythng was good all day, when i was coming home truck turn off it self i change the distributor and got it back running again as soon as i turn the truck on with the new distributor that ticking sound of lifters where ticking realling loud, i check the oil gauge and theres no pressure on it, so i change the oil pump and the oil sending unit and still no pressure now when i got the oil pump they ask me if it was a low valume pump or a high volume pump dose anybody know what that means cause both pumps look the same nothing changes. or dose anybody have a hint of what am i doing wrong or was happening

billr

wrench
Staff member
What did you find bad on the old dizzy that got replaced?

It is not likely that it matters whether the pump is high or low volume. Actually, there is probably only "normal" and "high" volume units available, and the normal (lower flow) should be fine.

Are the replacement dizzy and pump new/rebuilt, P/Ns that are supposed to be correct for this specific vehicle; or are either used "look the sames" from another engine?

Mobile Dan

wrench
Like Jim asked...can you verify that there is no problem with the oil pump drive gear/shaft? Possible wrong pump that doesn't actually engage the bottom of the shaft? 1607872048666.png

JMARAUJO26

SO WHAT YALL SAYING IS THAT AM NOT GETTING ANY OIL PRESSURE AND NO OIL ON MY VALVES BECAUSE OF THE OIL DRIVESHAFT? WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO THE SHAFT BECAUSE THE TRUCK DOSE START IS JUST NO OIL ON TOP IF THE SHAFT WAS NO GOOD THAN THE TRUCK WOULD NOT START RIGHT? BECAUSE THE THE DISTRIBUTOR WOULDNT CATCH TO THE SHAFT BUT SINCE IS TURNING ON I THINK THE SHAFT IS GOOD NOW AT THE OIL PUMP IS COMMON THE WHERE THE SHAFT CONNECTS TO IT SOMTIMES IS WORN OUT BUT IN THIS CASE I GOT A NEW OIL PUMP AND THERES STILL NO OIL PRESSURE AND NO OIL ON THE VALVES

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, we are saying you probably have low/no oil pressure, and that is probably because the pump isn't turning. You could connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge to confirm the "no pressure" theory, but beyond that we can't help any if you won't answer our questions. Oh, and it would be easier for me to read your posts if you TURN OFF THE CAPS-LOCK.

OK, I took a peek at pictures of this dizzy and pump. Since the dizzy is turning (engine runs), either the pump is bad or the bottom of the "intermediate shaft" is bad. Have you taken that intermediate shaft out for inspection?

Last edited:

JMARAUJO26

so i took the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft and inspected, it took me like 2 minues to find out that the shaft had broken there was a piece of the shaft where it hooks up to the pump so it wasnt turning the pump at all. I install a new one already put the distributor on than i stop got to cold came home till tomorrow ill find out if it works am pertty sure is gonna work....... thanks...for the HELP

Mobile Dan

wrench
Glad you figured that out. I hope that the engine bearings are still OK after engine has run without oil flow.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
SO WHAT YALL SAYING IS THAT AM NOT GETTING ANY OIL PRESSURE AND NO OIL ON MY VALVES BECAUSE OF THE OIL DRIVESHAFT? WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO THE SHAFT BECAUSE THE TRUCK DOSE START IS JUST NO OIL ON TOP IF THE SHAFT WAS NO GOOD THAN THE TRUCK WOULD NOT START RIGHT? BECAUSE THE THE DISTRIBUTOR WOULDNT CATCH TO THE SHAFT BUT SINCE IS TURNING ON I THINK THE SHAFT IS GOOD NOW AT THE OIL PUMP IS COMMON THE WHERE THE SHAFT CONNECTS TO IT SOMTIMES IS WORN OUT BUT IN THIS CASE I GOT A NEW OIL PUMP AND THERES STILL NO OIL PRESSURE AND NO OIL ON THE VALVES
some one forgot cap lock.

;)