Ford
Model
Explorer
Year
Miles
173???
Engine
?
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the 5 speed Manual transmission, this vehicle was given to me for a personal project, It starts and runs but the transmission only engages in 4th gear. So 1st and 3rd gear makes no noise, 2nd will whine. and 5th and reverse makes no noise. I want to rebuild the transmission myself, I am a shade tree mechanic and a Aircraft Mechanic for the Military, I have the skill and confidence to do the work, I need to know where to order the parts and am I looking at replacing gears or just synchro's and bearings?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I expect you are going to need more than just "wear" parts like syncros/bearings. If nobody else comes up with a source for parts, I will bug my expert. It would help if you could ID what make/model the trans is.

JackC

wrench
You are probably going to better off with a rebuilt or a used one from a wrecking yard. You can determine that when you open yours up and price out all the parts you will need.

paulo57509

I'm an old skool BW and Muncie 4-speed guy but from your symptoms, it sounds like there's an issue with the counter shaft. The counter shaft is in constant mesh with the main shaft so yeah....this sound like a big deal.

I'd go the wrecking/salvage yard route as well.

bp042665

hunting nut
you can get parts from All Trans or What Ever It Takes Transmission Parts I use both at my shop and yes its a M50D Mazda Transmission when Ordering Parts ask them about any updated parts like the bearing retainer