1999 INTERNATIONAL 4900 NO START

REKELLER

I HAVE A 99 , 4900 WITH A DT466E THAT WILL NOT START. WILL NOT CRANK, YOU CANNOT PULL START IT. I CAN GROUND THE CRANK RELAY AND ENGINE WILL CRANK WITH KEY BUT WONT START. IT HAS A MANUAL TRANS. I AM NOT SURE IF THE CLUTCH SWITCH COULD CAUSE THIS, I AM NOT SURE HOW TO TEST IT. IS THERE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THESE TRUCKS FOR THIS CONCERN. TRUCK WAS RUNNING FINE SAT OVER THE WEEKEND AND NOW THIS. I HAVE TRIED A NEW CRANK RELAY AND HAVE JUMPED THE TWO RELAYS UNDER THE HOOD. ALL THE FUSES I CAN FIND ARE GOOD. HELP!!!!!

MikeM

wrench
Well. Lets start with, does the check engine lamps come on when you turn the key to the on position?

jeffw

I would say to check the fuses at the batteries. The ECM fuse is there and the "jumper harness" is a common problem. Remove the fuse and inspect the terminals. Then follow that harness up to the starter at the next connector and inspect terminals. The starter is powered by the ECM and if the ECM gets no power then starter doesn't either. If you have a diagnostic tool can you communicate? Check that harness good for rubs and corrosion.

REKELLER

BATTERY BOX FUSE IS GOOD AND POWER ON WIRES TO AND FROM STARTER TERMINAL.
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DOES POWER UP, WARNING LIGHTS AND GAGES WORK

MikeM

wrench
1. Set parking brake.

2. Depress the Engine Diagnostics switch .

3. Turn the ignition switch ON. Do not start the engine. The ECM will begin the Output Circuit Check (self test). If DTCs are detected, the ECM will flash the WARN ENGINE light.

When the self test is over, the ECM will flash the red OIL/WATER light and amber WARN ENGINE light to signal the Diagnostic Trouble Codes

NOTE: All Diagnostic Trouble Codes are three digits. Code 111 indicates that no Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been detected.

4. Count the flashes in sequence. After each digit of the code a short pause will occur.

Three flashes and a pause indicate number 3

Two flashes , a pause, three flashes , a pause, and two flashes and a pause indicate code 232.
5. For more than one Diagnostic Trouble Code, the OIL/WATER light will flash once indicating the beginning of another active Diagnostic Trouble Code.

6. After all active Diagnostic Trouble Codes have flashed, the OIL/WATER light will flash twice to indicate the start of inactive Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Count the flashes from the WARN ENGINE light. If there is more than one inactive code, the OIL/WATER light will flash once in between each Diagnostic Trouble Code.

7. After all Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been sent, the OIL/WATER light will flash three times indicating end of message.

8. To repeat Diagnostic Trouble Code transmission, depress the Engine Diagnostic Switch. The ECM will resend stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

GDRedhorse

I assume since there was no reply from REKELLER on the status of the no start condition, that the problem was solved. I'm curious to know what he came up with.
We had a similiar problem with two different trucks, one was a 2004 with a DT466E and the other a 2005 with a HT530.
International troubleshot the '05 and ended up replacing the relays in the start circuit and eventually the cam position sensor. . . this started exhibiting the original no start problem in decreasing intervals (several months down to several days), until it completely quit. Our scanner picked off several codes in the cam timing area, circuits related checked out fine, so we replaced the cam position sensor and the truck started and has ran great since (December '07). When I compared the old sensor to the new one we installed, I noticed that the part number was different; I checked the numbers in my parts book and found the one International installed also fits the V8's, the one we installed was for I6's only. Don't know if this makes a difference, but I remember reading about some problems using V8 cam sensors in I6 engines.
The '04 DT466E just simply quit, no start condition. We picked off the same codes leading us to the cam position sensor, and replaced the cam position sensor and it has ran great since (Jan '08).

MikeM

wrench
There was a recall on sensor, to an updated one. Also some have been installing the V engine sensor in the I engine. It is suppose to advance the timing slightly by doing this.