1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 clutch problems

My jeep clutch stopped working. When I push in the pedal I cannot shift into gear. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder and encounter the same problem. While engine is running I cannot shift into gear, but when I put it into 4H I can shift into gear, the vehicle won't move. Please help!

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
How many miles on the clutch itself? Do you feel resistance when you push down the pedal? If the key is off and the vehicle is in first gear, can you push the vehicle? Post back, Transman

102,000 miles. the clutch has been replaced once before. When in first with engine off it will not roll. Thanks!

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Your problem is probably air in the master/slave units. Fill the master cylinder then open the bleeder, this may take a while but keep the master filled and let gravity push the air out of the system. When you feel comfortable the air has all come out, close the bleeder and see if the pedal feels more like it should. Even if there is a little bit of air in the system, you will have trouble releasing the clutch and putting it into gear. Do NOT use the pump method to bleed the air as it most likely will only introduce more air into the system. Post back, Transman

Yes I did try removing the air by pumping the clutch. I was told that the master cylinder and slave cylinder are a close system, that is self bleeding. Now there is a port on the slave cylinder, but it does nothing. I put a plug from the old slave cylinder onto the new one. It was made out of metal that would fit a hex head. If I open the plug nothing comes out. The weird thing is, before I swap out the slave cylinder I tried to bleed the old slave cylinder. I could bleed through that port by simply opening while holding down the pedal. Fluid with air would spit out. But with the new cylinder this would not happen. Help! Thanks!

No it was not a complete system, every thing but the hose is new. I bled the system for a couple of hours. But still the clutch does not disengage. When the jeep is off, I can shift into all the different gears. When the jeep is running I cannot. The pedal does fill different from jeep on and off. When its off it feels like it use to when it work. When the jeep is on it feels a little weird. It does not have a smooth downward motion. Help! Thanks!

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The slave cylinder may be uphill. You may have to remove it and point the bleeder uphill to get the air out. Either you have a defective part or air. I understand it can be very frustrating to deal with this problem but the facts point to air non the less. This system is extremely simple to deal with but when there is a problem can be just as difficult to repair as a complicated system, experience helps here. If you cannot get the air out find a local shop, do your homework first (ask around). A tow and a pressure bleed might be the solution for you. Post back, Transman

Transman said:
The slave cylinder may be uphill. You may have to remove it and point the bleeder uphill to get the air out. Either you have a defective part or air. I understand it can be very frustrating to deal with this problem but the facts point to air non the less. This system is extremely simple to deal with but when there is a problem can be just as difficult to repair as a complicated system, experience helps here. If you cannot get the air out find a local shop, do your homework first (ask around). A tow and a pressure bleed might be the solution for you. Post back, Transman
TRANSMAN:
I am having the EXACT same problem with my 1992 Wrangler. I have replaced both the master and slave, which on my 92, requires dropping the whole driveline as it's inside the bellhousing. What a pain. Only the line from the master to the slave is not new. At any rate, I've gone through one large bottle of DOT 3 bleeding the new master/slave, and the clutch will still not disengage. Pedal feels as it should, and it will not disengage when engine is on, but will shift throught the gears when the engine is off. Could this be a problem w/ the pressure plate or something else w/ the clutch?

My transmission was rebuilt at 188k and a new raybestos clutch was installed. It now has 215k, and I only use the jeep for driving back and forth to work. I parked it for around 2 weeks in prep for selling it, and this problem ocurred. Everything worked fine before I parked it. Could this really just be air in the lines and require a pressure bleed? I sure hope so. I appreciate your help on this.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I need to ask more questions here to help you... You need to start a new thread. This is called "Hijacking" and it does not help the original poster. I will be very happy to help, Transman

Just read this old post, I don't seem to find a solution, was there ever one? My 92 wrangler is acting just like this. If I only go 3/4 down with pedal, I am able to get into gear. Just bleed system again, complete clutch,slave, and master replace about 4 years ago. Was working fine, then wife couldn't get it into gear after she backed out of drive way.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Please START a new thread to ask your questions. Similar symptoms do not have similar answers.
Transman said:
I need to ask more questions here to help you... You need to start a new thread. This is called "Hijacking" and it does not help the original poster. I will be very happy to help, Transman