Make
ford
Model
mustang
Year
Miles
Engine
GT, V8
Hi all, can anyone tell me where this relay is located? thanks. Mike.

quick look I did not see a ABS relay.
could you tell more info -chasing a code?
JUst ABS no traction control?
Is this a SVG mustang -

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, the internal relay, which is probably transistorized needs the input of the BP sensor/switch..

But on your diagram, the pin out looks alot better than mine but real old:p. All I found was this on prodemand, will check all data in a few secs, see if I can get a better view with the new subscription. Kev, not pissing contest, just trying to figure out why this guy is interested in a abs relay circuit when it is always a code which will tell a non initiated, there is a relay, no, it is a transited or similar concept driven by abs module.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, all data server is asking my work pass, not going to try to find that, it is next to my other useless code words in my personal drawer of my tool box at work. We ALL have a personal drawer for that when at work. ;)

@ mike, heres another wiring of your 99 gt for ABS. Not much else to see in the relay dept in circuiut. The rest, is all PCBmount IC's and such, on board in the ABS unit. Sorry. Post a code, if you don't know how, I will MOST certainly show you a cheap and efficient way to diagnose with only a laptop which I assume everyone has. :eek:

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Reasoning behind ford logic for eluding a serviceable relay? Good question. Eliminate wiring and cost. In the following post, I will try not to sound like the other Nick. But dang that guy, ancient as he is, is spot on most, if not ALL of the time. SO you have to respect that. :):bat:;):beer:

The logic, as I understand it as a tech, is, nobody tells me when ford, gm or toyota etc will change venues, switch partnerships, but you have to recognize the tech. Mazda, back in the day were just starting thier marriage with mazda/ford "integration process". Whatever the F that means. Hence the gem modules and horrendous marriage of volvo and fazda f ing mafia f up back then. Everyone in bed with the next door neihbors cat for christs sake, and I am an athiest.

Early days on different can lines, intermingled in same production lines across similar platforms. Confusing to say the least back in 1999.

Dump valves need aot of energy to open under abs braking situation. Hence the presence of that 50 amp fuse, which if you look, goes straight into a abs module. Huge stress on that internal unit, which usually only exists in a state of wake circuit. Controlled by the brake input. The relay is designed to go into action every time you press the brake, switch open, relay transistors at low level, allos 50amp availability as a safety measure to dump all pressure for ultimate abs stop. It is designed that way. But with old bricks like this, just remove 50amp fuse, abs nada, enjoy 4.6l gt, or the cobra, if you can afford the tweaks. Again, I DO have a message box, I have an auto boss to give away, will love this 99 stang. It will talk to it all day OEM.

MikeP

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a lot of information, this is a co-worker's car, she took it to a repair shop because the ABS/traction light is on, repair shop scanned it quick and told her "probably just the main ABS relay" so without any other diagnosing on my part or the shop's, I thought it would be easy enough to find the relay and test it.. I was thinking about how easy such things were on my 99 Bonneville. I'm not getting involved, and it sounds like she should find another repair shop!

MikeP

And by the way, I love Nickd's posts... I used to be on this site ALL THE TIME but not a lot in the last several years. When I logged on, it was nice to see him still contributing.