1999 neon speedo gear

al daniels

wrench
my buddy has one and apparently it has a broken speedo gear in the tranny.shop tells him the tranny has to come out.is this true?i dont want to pull a trannny at home and he cant afford the shop i manage.thanks guys.Al

jasonn20

If the speedo has come apart then you would need to remove the passengers side axle and then the tail housing. If there is a problem with the differential then the trans will have to be to removed.

jasonn20

I am not sure why a shop would say the trans would need to be removed to fix a busted speedo gear. It is contained in the tail shaft and the speedo gear is in contact with the pass. side axle which has teeth on it. So.. unless there is more to the story then it should be a rather simple fix.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Although we are making "Assumptions" here, Which trans is in this neon? 3 speed or 4? If it's the 4 speed then there is NO speedo at all, the trans & speedo use an output sensor to gain speed info. If it's the 3 speed then the speedo is in the output housing and can be removed without removing the housing AND as posted before, the drive gear is part of the axle. Unless the Diff bearings are going, which will allow the axle to wobble and tear up the speedo gear then there is NO need to remove the trans. They make a tool to remove & install the diff bearings inside the vehicle so the trans doesn't need to be removed even then. Post back, Transman

al daniels

wrench
well shut my mouth and call me a newbie.i just looked at my first post and nowhere did i say what trans is in this thing.its a 5spd manual.thanks for the slap upside the head transman.lol.

jasonn20

THis is a manual and yes I should not have assumed it was an automatic having 200 post but lesson learned. This is a different story with a manual and it will have to be removed and might as well rebuild it while your there. The speedo gear is not part of the axle like an automatic as a manual is pressed onto the differential. The particles of sheared plastic needs to be clean out as it can damage the gears. Even a piece of silicon floating around in the fluid can break a tooth off a gear. So... since the case halves are going to need to separated to removed the differential I would inspect the syncros while your there and if they have any wear then I would replace them as well.