Make
Toyota
Model
Avalon
Year
Miles
Engine
1MZ-FE
I have a family member's 99 Avalon , 3.0 V6 ,A541E trans with 32K miles (yes, 32K) that slips at throttle tip in from a stop when cold. It will also not "creep" at idle or hold on a hill when cold. When it is warm the there is no slipping, but shifts are a bit slow. There is also rumbling noise when cold. The trans fluid has never been changed . The fluid is up to level and and the condition is light brown with some red and not burned. There is no MIL on. It has been driven about 100 miles this past year. I like to get some input on what to do next.

I would think it needs at least needs a fluid change at this point, there are a couple of questions : 1) drain/fill or flush. 2) Fluid spec is obsolete DEX III. What fluid is recommended . I have found DEX III/Merc or Import Multivehicle DEX III/Merc/Toyota T, T-III, T-IV or High mileage DEX III/Merc/Toyota Toyota T, T-III, T-IV .

It may take a while for me to respond back since we are having a snow storm and it may take a while to get any required parts. Thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
Just change the fluid and filter; sometimes flushing creates more problems than it solves. Dex III/Mercon is commonly available, use a "regular" grade if the original spec was simple Dex III. Do not be tempted to use Dex VI, even though that is the current Dex and generally a replacement for Dex III. Dex VI is lower viscosity and does not always work OK in transmissions designed in the Dex III era.

With the very little the car has been driven previously, I would not be surprised to see it "heal itself" if you put some run time and full heat cycles on it.