1999 Toyota Camry Le 4cylinder 186,000 miles

I recently Purchased a used 1999 toyota camry Le 4cylinder 186,000 miles mostly highway"if that makes a difference i dont know he did mention it to me" for my daughter to go to college very reasonable price$$$$. the owner recently had the timing belt changed and everything else that is needed when you do that. He gave it a tune up. He has changed the oil every 3000 miles or sooner show me the reciepts, the car runs smooth, Smogged in California passed. A month after puchasing it the check engine light came on. Mechanic checked for codes they are
P0401 (EGR) Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
P1133 Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Response malfuntion

And 700 dollars later I am still getting sames codes I dont know if this will ever get fixxed which means next time I try to smog in california it will not pass and will not be able to register I am a little frustrated. I recently found out about TSB and I found these can anyone guide me and tell me about these TSB's and if you think these TSB's pertain to my problem, by the way the car still runs very smooth.

TSB #EG01302 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0440, P0441 AND P0446 STORED. *TT (NHTSA ID #634001, JULY 12 2002)

TSB #EG00499 -- REVISED INFORMATION REGARDING VEHICLES WITHIN CERTAIN VIN RANGES EXHIBITING A FALSE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0446. *TT (NHTSA ID #606185, JUNE 11 1999)

TSB #EG00200 -- SOME CALIFORNIA EMISSION SPECIFICATION VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1133 PRESENT. *TT (NHTSA ID #610077, FEBRUARY 11 2000)

TSB #EG00499 -- SOME VEHICLES WITHIN CERTAIN VIN RANGES MAY EXHIBIT A FALSE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0446 FOR A VACUUM CONTROL VALVE ASSEMBLY SET. *TT (NHTSA ID #604939, APRIL 23 1999)

TSB #EG00999 -- SOME 5S-FE EQUIPPED VEHICLES AND CALIFORNIA EMISSION SPECIFICATION VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT ON DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1133. *TT (NHTSA ID #610058, OCTOBER 01 1999)

Thanks
Peace
David

2POINTautO

P0401 needs a vacuum switching valve, very common problem on Toyota. Here is an old documented fix but I have plenty on hand.

With engine at operating temp., applied external vacuum
directly to EGR valve. Engine stalled (Passages are clear)
and vacuum held steady (No leak at EGR valve).

2. Monitored vacuum at connection between modulator and vsv
- seemed normal (2-4' Hg.) while sweeping throttle.

3. Monitored vacuum at outlet of vsv (connection to EGR
valve) - Much lower vacuum (below 1' Hg.)

4. Replaced vsv - problem solved.

P0446, Motor Magazine archives did a Toyota EVAP article practically every month in 2006, I highly recommend you go read all of them and save them to your computer, they are PDF format, the reader comes with its own save button so no worries about saving them.

P1133 there was a TSB that stated to use an updated part number and possibly the ECU, I also think that the other two items need to be fixed first as they can effect the AF sensor activity, this part also needs to be OEM, not aftermarket.

Thanks for the info I downloaded all the Motor Magazine articles on the Toyota EVAP systems very good info .

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction where I can get a copy of the TSB's, so I can get the updated part #s and directions how to fix what might be a ECU issue. Can anyone recomend a subscription service to any of the online services to get copies of the TSB's?

Can anyone recommend a good Toyota mechanic in the Oxnard/Ventura California 93030 area?????
Thanks
David

2POINTautO said:
P0401 needs a vacuum switching valve, very common problem on Toyota. Here is an old documented fix but I have plenty on hand.

With engine at operating temp. , applied external vacuum
directly to EGR valve. Engine stalled (Passages are clear)
and vacuum held steady (No leak at EGR valve).

2. Monitored vacuum at connection between modulator and vsv
- seemed normal (2-4' Hg. ) while sweeping throttle.

3. Monitored vacuum at outlet of vsv (connection to EGR
valve) - Much lower vacuum (below 1' Hg. )

4. Replaced vsv - problem solved.

P0446, Motor Magazine archives did a Toyota EVAP article practically every month in 2006, I highly recommend you go read all of them and save them to your computer, they are PDF format, the reader comes with its own save button so no worries about saving them.

P1133 there was a TSB that stated to use an updated part number and possibly the ECU, I also think that the other two items need to be fixed first as they can effect the AF sensor activity, this part also needs to be OEM, not aftermarket.