2.2 ecotec

gb

03 grand am 2.2 eco tec 80,000 miles. 5 speed trans

dear Bat

I get a chattering or rattling noise at 2000 rpm from engine. Any thoughts on this

Thank you
gb

kev2

wrench
I always ask - or try to, vehicle stock? Ck engine light on?

Doing noises over the internet is hit or miss, SO lets try to isolate the sound, a helper and a stethoscope Or a rod to aid hearing try to localizing the sound.

engine, top, bottom, front, rear?
Exhaust- leak can sound tinnie rattling, Shields.
Serpentinr belt- pulleys, accessories (alt P/S etc)...

I would ck (listen) the timing chain - tensioners?

gb

Vehicle is stock and I will try what you suggested.

thank you

gb

Dear sirs:

Before I got to try what you suggested, as my son was driving (really his car) car started to miss and stall and lack of power, he just made it home. I am not concerned with the noise as it is not really that bad.

But with this recent problem: car will crank but not start, I have spark; fuel pressure is 52 psi; compression is 130 psi each cylinder; I did pour a little gas in throttle body and it still did not start. The plugs were very bad so we installed new plugs. As bad as they were I thought that was it, but it wasn't. The only DTC is for a evap (small leak) which has been on for a while. Any of your ideas is appreciated.

Thank you
gb

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is that a joke? It has stopped running and you are not concerned about the funny noise it was making just before??? Like kev2 said, the timing chain is sure "sounding" suspicious!

NickD

wrench
Dad, my car won't start, engine cranks, but sounds funny when cranking. Where are you? 300 miles away, will pack some tools, and be down. Sure enough, did sound funny when cranking, pulled the distributor cap, rotor wasn't turning, your timing belt is broken.

Your engine has a DIS, distributorless ignition system, no cap to pull, next best thing is to pull a plug and do a compression check. Don't have a timing belt either, have a chain. Maybe that slipped or broke.

Does yours sound funny when cranking? If so, camshafts are not turning, maybe compression in only one cylinder. Recall another guy here several months ago with the same engine and the same problem.

Gus

wrench
Doesn't make sense.....says he has 130psi in each cylinder....has fuel pressure....has spark on all cylinders? Injector pulse?

Does it start with carb cleaner sprayed into intake?

The old man

He is saying that the plugs were really bad and had rattling noise somewhere. Any possibility of a broken down and plugged converter, being ruined by bad plugs not burning all the gases, and running rich all the time. How easy is it to drop the exhaust pipe, or take out a o2 sensor to see if it will start? Also had a emissions code of some kind.

billr

wrench
Staff member
How was compression checked, just one stroke with closed throttle, or 4-5 strokes with WOT? 130 psi is kind of poor for an OHV engine. I still think the timing chain is most likely, as a plugged cat probably wouldn't keep the engine from starting. Ordinarily I would agree to try simple easy things, like pulling the O2/cat or primer-fuel (carb cleaner); but in this case, since there was clattering before it crapped out, I would sure want to check out mechanical problems of the engine "innards" before rotating it any more and maybe making a bad problem even worse...

kev2

wrench
Hey GB: Are you still there - anything new to add, Do tou have ability to read codes?

The old man

130# compression on this engine is good according to specification. It calls for no less than 100# on any cylinder and all within 70% of each. Could be chain is a tooth off or so, but would think it would at least try to start. He said the noise is not there until he get up to 2000 rpm. This is not a interference engine, so that is good if it is the chain being off. . Sounds like maybe could be vibration noise to me. Just my 2 cent worth.

gb

Thank you for all the responces

This noise was there for a while (only at 2000 rpm, not real loud).
No strange noise while cranking
check compression in all cylinders at WOT 4-5 strokes
does not start when spraying carb cleaner in intake

Thanks again
gb

kev2

wrench
Going with the idea you do NOT have a code reader or scanner. CORRECT? really slows us down BUT lets try
Using carb clean is a substatute for fuel.... SO we ASSUME that the ign is lacking....We need to check for spark at plugs - As this is a COP not as easy to ck...
try this using a test light or DVOM ign on do you have 12v at pnk wire at IGN module (coil) also is there 12v at pnk wire at injectors?

TRy safly securing the COP assy, unplug injectors - insert plugs into coil sockets GROUND and DBL ground - check for spark as someone spins engine...

[attachment deleted during maintenance]

billr

wrench
Staff member
GB, clarify please... there is a DTC for the evap system, so the CEL is on, right? How do you know there isn't a new code now, have you had them read recently, since it wouldn't start?

gb

Thanks again for the replies:

kev2, I will try this first chance but when you say insert plugs into coil sockets Do you mean spark plugs, to test for spark from direct from coil? just want to make sure I'm getting it, I'm thick like that sometimes.

billr; there is a DTC set for evap (small leak) CEL is on and I have a code reader ,no new codes, checked yesterday.

Thanks again
gb