Make
Honda
Model
Accord
Year
Miles
Engine
F23A1
I am throwing a code for a multiple misfire. The car has a very rough idle and is worse when put in gear (automatic) and also when the A/C is on. Once I get to vehicle over 1000 rpm is runs very smooth and the problem seems to be nonexistent. I have replace the spark plug wires, replaced the spark plugs and regapped them to spec. Put in a good used distributer (to replace the amazon one that was running 10 degree advanced timing) replaces the map sensor with used ones. Thanks in advance for the help!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you checked compression and fuel pressure? If those are both OK then it is time to use live-data instead of throwing parts at it. No live-data? At least use a vacuum gauge to get some more clues.

PS: It is always best to post the specific code numbers. I am assuming this is P0300.

JackC

wrench
As Bill said, check compression and do a vac check. My guess is a open ERR valve causing a "vac leak" (really exhaust leaking into the intake when it should not be at idle) If the ERR is accessible you can temperately make a metal plate out of a soda can or something to block off the EGR from the intake for a test.
If it is the EGR it can be cleaned repaired or replaced.

grcauto

You should have two or more P030X codes as well as the P0300.
Here's the flow chart on the multiple misfires. This will give you an idea of how Honda approaches this.

DSC_0005 (2).JPGDSC_0006 (2).JPG

Chiggity00

Did a compression test yesterday, came back 185,185,185,150. I guess next step is a leak down test and hope it just needs a valve adjustment

NickD

wrench
Could tell the EPA where to return the PVC hose, but they would have to bend over first. With fuel injection, returning it to the air cleaner, meaning all they piston bypass crap is going into the throttle body, if blocking it partially, could well be your problem.

It also cakes up on the fuel injectors and under the intake valve.

Another problem is with throttle by wire, that servo motor is measured in ant power, sticks can causes throttle stick problems, and if a person is too stupid to switch off the ignition, can mean a so-called accident. Had, to keep my TB's clean with choke and carb cleaner. When the TB is closed, restricts air flow, can very well be your problem.

But I really like to tell you where the EPA can stick that PCV hose. I also add a can of Seamfoam to my engines every 4k miles, carbon builds up on the rings, they stick and you get more bypass, its accumulative.