2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4 L 180,000 Kms

StanH

This car has been parked for 9 months. When it was started I found it had only one high beam headlight working on the passenger side, no low beam on either side. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find any blown. I cleaned the ground wire and no change. I checked the voltage with the engine running, on the working high beam I have 14. 5 volts, the non working high beam and both non working low beams have only 12. 5 volts. I switched the bulbs around in the high beams and the passenger side still works so it's not the bulbs. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
StanH

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
You have fuses for the left and right headlights...and a relay...make sure you check all of them....Jim

Gus

wrench
Even if you "only" have 12.5 volts, the lights should light up.....check your power & ground with a test light....

StanH

Jim, I have checked all the fuses but I don't know where the relay is or how to check it if that is possible.
Gus, I would think the lights would work also but when I switch bulbs they all work on the light plug that works. I will try a test light tomorrow.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Like Gus said...check power and grounds...Here are some diagrams to help you..The relay is in the left fuse block on the dash....Jim.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

NickD

wrench
Sure running into stuff like that with my 92 DeVille by letting it sit too much, one electrical problem after another, some were self curing like the ABS light going out again after driving it, others required tracing, like a trunk reversing switch with a corroded slider contact, or a blower module burning up when turning on an ice frozen blower motor in zero weather. Just can't let them sit, or else, nature will reclaim them.