2000 Chevy Venture Engine Nightmare

stinger2463

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture LT that has had constant problems with overheating and Intake Manifold Gasket. I replaced the gasket at 60,000 miles and switched out the dex fluid for traditional antifreeze at the recommendation of my mechanic. Now at 104,000 miles the gasket is leaking again, and I have a freeze plug leaking. I've taken it to two different places and both say cut your losses and run, not worth fixing.
My question is, does anyone know if this is a known recurring issue with this motor? Do I have any recourse trying to pursue replacement with Chevrolet? Anybody else had these problems?

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Did you use the new style gasket?...They do have a tsb about the intake gasket leaking and they say replace with the new style gasket...Also here is part of a tsb about it losing coolant and overheating...Hope this helps....Jim.........Notes

Bulletin No.: 00-06-02-001

File In Section: 06 Engine/Propulsion System

Date: January, 2000

Subject:
Engine Running Hot, Overheating and/or Loss of Coolant (Polish Radiator Filler Neck and Replace Radiator Cap)

Models:
1999-2000 Passenger Cars and Trucks with Composite Radiator End Tank

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

^ Engine running hot

^ Engine overheating, and/or

^ Loss of coolant/low coolant message

Cause

The radiator filler neck may have an imperfection in the sealing surface.

Correction

Important: DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIATOR.

Using a piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper backed with a flat piece of wood, polish the filler neck sealing surface using a circular motion.

Replace the radiator pressure cap with a cap of the same part number as shown in the GM Service Parts Catalog.

Gus

wrench
Your only hope, is that a GM dealer did the intake job at 60K......and that you have maintenance records to show from then to now....if a
GM dealer did the work and you have records, then a call to GM Customer Assistance is in order......might help with partial payment of the repair.....

If a Chevy dealer didn't do the work, I'm afraid you are out of luck with any assistance....

kdauto

wrench
I'll have to check for specifics, but I heard GM will have to pay up for a Dexcool related class-action suit they just lost. That probably means millions for the lawyers and a few bucks for each poor customer that had Dexcool-related problems.

Gus

wrench
I wonder how may people know about this?

I can imagine all the warranty companies, that want to be reimbursed......no wonder GM is losing money.....

Paul

I'm The Decider
According to the info Karl posted,owners are eligible for $50 to $800.I reckon it depends on how much work was done and how many parts were smoked.I wonder if Gm will quit using that crap.

kdauto

wrench
Paul said:
According to the info Karl posted,owners are eligible for $50 to $800.I reckon it depends on how much work was done and how many parts were smoked.I wonder if Gm will quit using that crap.
I believe what you are referencing as crap is Dexcool? I believe the real crap is the cheap,useless,plastic-based intake gaskets. As far as I'm concerned, plastic has NO place on an engine. It's sad most manufacturers have cheapened to this point. Most maintained vehicles,at least the ones I see, have had no problems related to the Dexcool. When the crappy plastic gasket goes kaput,I install a metal/silicone gasket and bolt kit,and that's the end of it.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
It might be rare, but I agree with Karl. Dexcool is the coolant I put in. I will recommend 2 year flushes though and I for one have stopped going through heater cores in my sonoma. Transman

ironhead

Stinger, If you had any recourse, you lost it when you put coolant in that was not specified by GM. Personally, I don`t like Dexcool, but, when you use a product or procedure that does not meet the manufacturers specs, you release them of any liability, and end up taking the full responsibility for any future failures.
Guy

TB_06_tuner

ouch
I feel for you man. I owned a '99 Venture and had the same problems. Overheating, oil and dexcool mixing, etc, etc. Changed the gasket to the new style and Sold it 1-1/2 years later and the new owner had to have it repaired again 'cause antifreeze and oil mixing and the overheating problems. This was a known issue with GM but they did not do a full recall nor did they redesign the gasket or manifold.

Only advice is to trade in in (don't offer details), or if you can stomach it, sell it privately and get out.
ouch

Take care,
B

gerhand44

There is a class action suit against GM for the dexcool problem. I got in on it about 2 years ago. It is now going into settlement. If you had your vehicle repair before Feb. 2008 you may be intitled to from $50. 00-$800. 00. I have 2 vehicles and I kept all reciepts, which are needed. The lawyers to contact are, www. girardgibbs. com. Good luck.

If you have oil and dexcool mixing i would see if you have the towing package with the oil cooler between the block and oil filter.
my pontiac Montana oil cooler got a internal leak and put oil in my dexcool (oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure) and riuned every single water hose on the van. Very expensive fix even tho i did all the work myself.
You can remove the cooler and just loop a coolant hos and do away with the piece of crap cooler.

The Redneck

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture LT that has had constant problems with overheating and Intake Manifold Gasket. I replaced the gasket at 60,000 miles and switched out the dex fluid for traditional antifreeze at the recommendation of my mechanic. Now at 104,000 miles the gasket is leaking again, and I have a freeze plug leaking. I've taken it to two different places and both say cut your losses and run, not worth fixing.
My question is, does anyone know if this is a known recurring issue with this motor? Do I have any recourse trying to pursue replacement with Chevrolet? Anybody else had these problems?
Going through them right now. Helping out a buddy..I just spent a week with (what I call Asshole Engineering) tryna fix a head gasket issue. 2000 Chevy Venture, about 140,000 miles, everything from The head gaskets up, all gaskets replaced. Oil flush and oil in, engine flush and while filling radiator I noticed the water was pouring out between moto

The Redneck

Going through them right now. Helping out a buddy..I just spent a week with (what I call Asshole Engineering) tryna fix a head gasket issue. 2000 Chevy Venture, about 140,000 miles, everything from The head gaskets up, all gaskets replaced. Oil flush and oil in, engine flush and while filling radiator I noticed the water was pouring out between moto
Motor and radiator.