Make
Ford
Model
Mustang
Year
Miles
Engine
3.8 V6
So, my Mustangs accelerator cable is broke and needs to be replaced. Part number XR3Z9A758AA. I can't find this part anywhere. I may end up at a salvage yard, so my questions are - can you tell me the length of the outer sleeve as well as the length of the inner cable? And, are there any other vehicles that use this same cable? I don't even see any aftermarket cables that have the return spring end on it.

Thanks

Put this on google search
"2000 ford mustang 3.8 throttle cable"

In Wisconsin use to have Northern Auto, a large chain, taken over by Carquest, but just recently Advanced Auto that has the main distribution in our town.

Have several in stock,
ATPAccelerator Cable

1 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

Part # Y-618

Price is $18.99, but ask for either a senior citizen or a Vet discount.

wolfsmane

Thanks, but this link is for a 90s mustang. I did do the google search and couldn't find the right part.

Put this on google search
"2000 ford mustang 3.8 throttle cable"

In Wisconsin use to have Northern Auto, a large chain, taken over by Carquest, but just recently Advanced Auto that has the main distribution in our town.

Have several in stock,
ATPAccelerator Cable
1 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Part # Y-618

Price is $18.99, but ask for either a senior citizen or a Vet discount.

wolfsmane

This is what it looks like. The red plastic tube rides over the smaller diameter black plastic tube. When trying to disconnect the cruise control cable next ti ti, my fat hands bumped against the red tube and it broke right where it rides over the black. The cable is wanting to buckle at that point and is on the verge of the red end hitting the black end and catching right there. This is my daughters car, so I would rather replace it if I can for ease of mind.

0a1.jpg

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is the CC cable "permanently" disconnected now? When does the other cable buckle? It looks like it could only buckle when the throttle arm is moved by the CC cable or your hand. The accel pedal should only be able to pull on that cable.

I did a quick search (not Google) and found many listings for similar-looking Mustang cables. If I get the time, I will track some of these down and post specific vendors/PNs

Could you pull back the spring and reattach the broken red end using 3M foil tape? Putting the spring back into place would add additional strength to the repair.
1567787082702.png

billr

wrench
Staff member
Try <lmr.com>

It is not clear to me if the CC and accel cable are a single unit, or two separate ones. I think a few calls/emails to the lmr folks could get you what you need.

wolfsmane

I appreciate all the replies.

The cruise control cable is now permanently disabled. The CC cable is what started this issue. It broke while my daughter was driving and the way it lodged cause almost wide open throttle and she barely got it stopped without wrecking.

Wedged my fat hand in there to disconnect it and felt the plastic crack on the throttle cable.

Mobile Dan, I am probably going to try and super glue the piece back and see if it holds together.

Question for all: I am not much of a mechanic. With the way that this cable is broke, do you think that it will be
possible for it to fail and cause wide open throttle like the other cable did? I was mainly looking for a new cable for putting
my mind at ease about another episode like that, for her. She drives an hour each way to work, half on highways and
half on back country roads and gets off late at night.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, since the CC is meant to be permanently disabled, I think that cable will be fine as-is. Again, when are you seeing that cable buckle? If it is only when moving the TB lever/arm by hand, then ignore that. Only test this system using the throttle pedal in the cabin, like she will be driving it.

wolfsmane

Well, since the CC is meant to be permanently disabled, I think that cable will be fine as-is. Again, when are you seeing that cable buckle? If it is only when moving the TB lever/arm by hand, then ignore that. Only test this system using the throttle pedal in the cabin, like she will be driving it.
Yes, when doing it by hand under the hood. The red plastic is slightly touching the black as it glides over it. On the CC cable, that is exactly the same thing it was doing until it jammed. It is the fear of the Throttle cable jamming somehow that is worrying me.

I am going to leave it as is for the moment and I am going to drive it around as see how it performs and if it turns out well, then give it back to her.

wolfsmane

NickD - I checked out all those links and they all pointed to the wrong year car/cable, or just the wrong cable altogether.

The ATP cables, I have sent them a message first thing this morning to see if they had an exact match and haven't heard back from them.

I have several herniated discs in the lower back and a hip replacement, so it makes it nearly impossible for me to get under the dash to
disconnect the cable from the pedal. I am going to see if the wife can maneuver under there better. If she can, Then I will likely make a trip to the pull a part with her tomorrow, if the test drive tonight feels iffy.

I appreciate all the help and replies you have all given me!

wolfsmane

Just got a reply from the ATP cables, and they do not have a compatible cable for that year.