2000 Ford Mustang AT base model v6 3.8 - broke accelerator cable

wolfsmane

Dang that looks tasty! All I had was scrambled eggs and toast LOL.

BTW - the broken plastic piece of the throttle cable does not seem to be affecting the idle in any way. The
throttle shaft/linkage is operating properly.

wolfsmane

Since I will be taking off the IAC to clean it, I am looking at gaskets at the parts store. I am seeing 2 versions of
it. The no name brands has 1 nickle size hole on each port side, the motorcraft has the entire port left open.

Which one would be best? My unknowledgable mind says that covering th port with my finger brings
down the idle, so choose the no name brand with the nickle size holes. LOL

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
I would use the one with the round holes. Not so much because of hole size, but because it would be a bit sturdier; less likely to squeeze out sideways and cause a leak. Either should work, though.

Have you owned this vehicle since new or used? Ironically when specifying the year make, model, and engine the wrong parts showed up? Never been my experience in over 66 years. Maybe your existing throttle cable is not stock.

Did have a 1998 Ford in 2004, needed a part for the cruise control, Ford did not have a replacement and only required by law to offer replacement parts for five years, this was the sixth year. Solution? Just get rid of the darn thing.

In the aftermarket business, only OEM parts that were poorly designed were worth tooling up for. Does take an investment and as a business, want to get your money back.

wolfsmane

NickD - bought it used. the year 2000 and 2001 are the only two years that use that throttle cable(I assume thats what you're referring to). My understanding since having this car is that almost all parts are the same from 1999 - 2004. The throttle cable is the first part I have run into that is just the 2 years. In 2002 the throttle cable doesn't have that built in spring on the end of it, it relies on the spring loaded throttle body lever, cam shaped. If I have any more issues out of the throttle cable, I guess that I can get the 2002 throttle body with the different linkage, and use the throttle cable for that, since I can buy that cable new from ATP that was mentioned earlier.

In the process of fixing the throttle and cleaning the IAC valve, I somehow fell into a radiator flush and a oil change. New tires sometime this week.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In the process of fixing the throttle and cleaning the IAC valve, I somehow fell into a radiator flush and a oil change. New tires sometime this week.
Great, seems like your on top of things. Thx for that, us here at bat auto like it when a plan comes together. It is always appreciated when a thread comes to a good conclusion.

New stuff is throttle by wire, when under the hood for charging the AC system or checking alternator output, haven't figured out how to rev the engine. Arm isn't long enough to reach around to hit the gas pedal. Maybe I can get a stick on it to the front seat.

No longer a governor in the transmission, using a cheap coil of wire around a bar magnet called Vss, since the potentiometer is on the gas pedal and converted to digital in the PCM, just takes a bit of software to emulate cruise control. Vss for the AT gives speed and the throttle control adjusts the vane in the throttle body.

Cruise doesn't cost anything extra, but if you buy a base model won't give you the switch in your steering wheel to turn it on. Daughter just out of college purchased a new Kia Soul, being a mean dad, don't buy cars for them after they graduate, already blew $150K for her. She got the base model with no cruise, but I found a 15 buck switch for her car that mounts in the steering wheel so now she has cruise.

GM wants 300 bucks for a new steering wheel to get cruise. Getting unhappy with GM and Ford.

wolfsmane

New stuff is throttle by wire, when under the hood for charging the AC system or checking alternator output, haven't figured out how to rev the engine. Arm isn't long enough to reach around to hit the gas pedal. Maybe I can get a stick on it to the front seat.

No longer a governor in the transmission, using a cheap coil of wire around a bar magnet called Vss, since the potentiometer is on the gas pedal and converted to digital in the PCM, just takes a bit of software to emulate cruise control. Vss for the AT gives speed and the throttle control adjusts the vane in the throttle body.

Cruise doesn't cost anything extra, but if you buy a base model won't give you the switch in your steering wheel to turn it on. Daughter just out of college purchased a new Kia Soul, being a mean dad, don't buy cars for them after they graduate, already blew $150K for her. She got the base model with no cruise, but I found a 15 buck switch for her car that mounts in the steering wheel so now she has cruise.

GM wants 300 bucks for a new steering wheel to get cruise. Getting unhappy with GM and Ford.

I believe the wifes 2014 Challenger is like that. She bought the base model V6, and that didn't come with the cool headlights or the fog lights. I already bought the fog lights and a new switch component for the dash. Dodge service told me I couldn't do that because it wouldn't work because the base model isn't set up for that. Installed them and boom, they work nicely without help from Dodge.
The same with the push to start for that car. It came with the switch where you insert the key fob and turn just like keys. I asked why can't it be puch button. "Because the base model isn't capable of it". So, I put my finger in the hole and pushed it and the car cranked right up! LOL So I ebayed the little push button that inserts in there and it has worked perfect every sense!

Talked to the daughter when she came to pick the car up last night and she proceeds to tell me that it is about time for her to buy a
new for herself! Says she is interested in the new Honda Civic. I know nothing about Hondas, lol

Was retired when out last car was rear ended by a drunk so had plenty of time to look. Became excited with Hyundai, 60,000 mile/5 year 100% warranty, 10 Year/100Kmile, large discounts from the sticker price. Got the Elantra Limited, for a thousand extra, improved rear suspension, all electrically heated seats, power drivers seat with lumbar, moon roof, side alert, rear view camera, Infinity Sound system, factory GPS, manual or automatic MVAC.. With summer gas, 51 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, but drops to 44 at 75.

Reminds me of Honda and Toyota of the mid 80's with good deals, they really cheapened up their vehicles in the early 90's when the buck was devalued from the yen. Got a very good deal on a 85 Honda SEI, loaded with everything, but not even close to the Elantra. Drove that thing into the ground and an 88 Toyota Supra Turbo, still have that with only 60k miles on it, never hot rodded. and loaded with the turbo and removable roof. Never ever driven on road salt.

wolfsmane

I haven't paid any real attention to Honda since the mid 80's. Why did they do away with the Prelude? I thought that was their flagship car, with Accord being the mid level and Civic being their entry level. I haven't really checked into it, but just looking at the Civic and Accord on the street, it almost looks like the civic is a higher level than the Accord now.

How do any of yall feel about the VVT/Dodge and the AFM/Chevy and whatever the other car manufacturers call theirs? I own a 2005 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3. The later models of the Avalanche have the AFM and every person that has that on the facebook groups I belong to, hate it with a passion! They either by a "Range" brand disabler or rebuild without the AFM. My wife has a 2014 Challenger with the VVT and you can't really tell that it switches much. They make a disabler for that and I was wanting to buy one for it, but she says no, she likes the gas savings. I don't belive that she would notice much difference in gas mileage if I snuck one on her car.

BTW - Update on the Mustang - got new tires on it and took it to get front end aligned and was told that the car needs new lower ball joints and that they wouldn't do the alignment until I replaced those. If it isn't one thing, its another. Since I just did the upper and lower on my truck, it is still fresh in my mind and should go kinda smooth------if I didn't just jinx myself, LOL!