Model
Mustang
Year
Miles
too many
Engine
V6
2000 Ford Mustang V6 AT base model

I want to start by stating that a few weeks ago I changed out the plugs, and with my fat hands and arms, it was a tight fit getting the two plugs nearest the firewall, especially on the passenger side. Everything seemed to run fine.

Its the daughters car, and as she went to go home last night, as soon as she cranked it up, I could tell that it was very loud exhaust leak sound coming from under the hood. Sounded like it was running straight pipes....best it has ever sounded for a V6, lol. I had her shut it off and drover her home.

I am having difficulties looking at it myself as I have several ruptured discs and two bad hips, thats what made changing plugs challenging. Plus, here in the south east we are getting the cold storms, so it is raining and cold outside with no garage to work in.

My question is, I will probably need to take it to a garage and let a professional work on it, unless you can suggest anything somewhat easy to check. I did try to look today, started it up and could tell it is from passenger side, could hear it louder there, could see cold exhaust exiting from under front passenger tire as well as at the exhaust tip in back.

Will it damage anything or start a fire if I drive it?

Thanks guys

billr

wrench
Staff member
If this began right after the plug change, and you touched only the plugs, then it sounds like one didn't get all the way into its hole in the head. If you got it "tight", then it is probably cross-threaded and the fix is not an easy DIY job. Certainly repairing damaged thread is a lot trickier than replacing plugs... I would get it towed to the shop.

wolfsmane

It did not happen right away after plugs, but at least 3 weeks. She drives an hour one way for work, and puts quite a few miles on it in a week.

I am 99% positive I threaded it correctly, using only my fingers until it seated.

I am not positive of the correct terminology, but by getting my face as close as safely possible, it sounds like it is coming from where the exhaust manifold bolts to the next pipe/collector, but could also be coming from the manifold gaskets I suppose.

So, driving it a few miles would be bad? I haven't moved it.

wolfsmane

By tight fitting, I meant the amount of area for my fat arm to fit, btw. I may have not made that clear enough.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, I misunderstood. I thought this happened immediately after the plug change. If it is a leak at the exhaust manifold gasket I wouldn't be worried about driving it a few miles

©hester

2000 Ford Mustang V6 AT base model

I want to start by stating that a few weeks ago I changed out the plugs, and with my fat hands and arms, it was a tight fit getting the two plugs nearest the firewall, especially on the passenger side. Everything seemed to run fine.

Its the daughters car, and as she went to go home last night, as soon as she cranked it up, I could tell that it was very loud exhaust leak sound coming from under the hood. Sounded like it was running straight pipes....best it has ever sounded for a V6, lol. I had her shut it off and drover her home.

I am having difficulties looking at it myself as I have several ruptured discs and two bad hips, thats what made changing plugs challenging. Plus, here in the south east we are getting the cold storms, so it is raining and cold outside with no garage to work in.

My question is, I will probably need to take it to a garage and let a professional work on it, unless you can suggest anything somewhat easy to check. I did try to look today, started it up and could tell it is from passenger side, could hear it louder there, could see cold exhaust exiting from under front passenger tire as well as at the exhaust tip in back.

Will it damage anything or start a fire if I drive it?

Thanks guys
You may want to pull the fuse to the EMC before cranking.