2000 GMC "New" Sierra: brake bleed nipple size?

R

Randy

Hi, i can't seem to find the correct size for the bleed nipples; a 10 MM seemed right but it won't do it: even the box end slips. Advice?
Thanks

crunch

wrench
That is where good 6 point sockets are needed.
If a good 10mm 6 point will not do it go to a god 6 point 3/8 and see if you can tap it on.
If not it is the old vise grips or monkey wrench or what ever will take it out.
Sometimes a light steady tapping like a wood pecker on it helps. :)
Or say a little prayer and cross your fingers before starting it out.
They sometimes break/twist off to.
Good luck

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You may find that you can't bleed it anyway, you will probably need a scanner to run the abs pump to get the air out or it will terminally feel like a bad master cylinder. Transman

R

Randy

Hi, thanks for your replies and advice. I took a sharp chisel and notched it so I could try hitting it with a hammer at a tangent in the direction of loosening; I hit it probably 50 times and that sucker hasn't moved; dang, how tight could it be? I know, though, that it hasn't been touched since 2000 when it was installed. It's not rusty, though (no salt down here) and still had the plastic cover in place.
Tomorrow I'll take the caliper off and see if I can get a better grip on it on the workbench.
I understand your advice on bleeding with ABS; I'm not bleeding just changing the old brake fluid by sucking it out through the bleeders.

Jim Davis

I like when I can get a vehicle the night before doing a brake job.....few squirts of PB blaster on each bleader plug and line if I think it will be coming off and the next day things go much easier.

R

Randy

Well, I got the other three open at least: never could get any flow from the rear one; got green-tinted BF from the front ones, though. I bought a new 6-point 10 MM wrench.
Is there a proportioning valve or some other reason the rear was not giving it up?
Thanks, Randy

R

Randy

OK, ABS system. Nothing in my Chilton about it though; it describes a bleed process which would be familiar to most.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Transman said:
You may find that you can't bleed it anyway, you will probably need a scanner to run the abs pump to get the air out or it will terminally feel like a bad master cylinder. Transman
This is a real problem ith GM abs systems. A man with the proper scanner can automate and bleed the system in about 40 seconds. Without the scanner the air will never come out. Transman

N

NickD

I could not bleed my 92 DeVille with ABS to save my soul until a fellow hear told me to put the ignition key in and switch it to the run position, then it went as smooth as silk. Used my vacuum bleeder and pumped until I was blue in the face and nothing came out also the pedal method didn't work either. Switch on, the fluid poured through, no problems, got a rock hard pedal in no time.

Now you are telling me if I trade this thing up to a 2000, will have to buy a scanner just to bleed the brakes? And can't be a cheap scanner as they do not support ABS. What's the deal on these newer vehicles?