2000 GMC Somona Won't Shift Above 2nd

My Vehicle:
2000 GMC Sonoma SLS, 4 Cyl 2.2L, Automatic 4 Speed, 92k Miles.

I ws driving on the highway yesterday and all of a sudden my truck will no longer shift into third or fourth gear. I pulled over and checked to make sure that I had fluid and it seemed a little low but okay. The fluid was a little dirty, it was red but left a bit of a black mark on the towel.

I drove home at low speed in low gear to do some further troubleshooting. I don't know much about cars, especially transmissions, but I could do some basic troubleshooting. On the way home the SES light came on. I checked the code and it was P0756. I checked the fluid leval and it was okay after adding a little bit of fluid.

Lower gears and reverse shift as smooth as ever, it just won't go above second.

I am going to have it looked at but I woud appreciate any unbiased advice that you can give as to what to look for, etc.

Also, thewew was a TSB that sounds like it might be applicable:
Date: 10/01/2005
Component Name: 103000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
NHTSA #: 010730038B
SUMMARY: THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LAMP IS ILLUMINATED, NO 3RD AND 4TH GEAR, THE TRANSMISSION DOES NOT SHIFT CORRECTLY, THE TRANSMISSION FEELS LIKE IT SHIFTS TO NEUTRAL OR A LOSS OF DRIVE OCCURS. *TT

Welcome to Bat.
You done good getting the code.
Now you know there is a problem on the 1-2 shift solenoid.
But forget them far out left field NHTSA TSB's.
Most of them are made up from a old maid flim flam whim. :)
The all data sub or the dealer can provide the good factory tsb's.
But a tsb does not fix it deal it only points to known problems and it is a you pay deal.

The code does not say replace solenoid but to check it out good.
Could be wiring or computer or even a unpluged solenoid other problems.

If you are going to a repair shop look around and find a good one.
Some are transmission replace happie.

I talked to a technician and this is what they told me...

The solenoid is stuck but there is also a stuck valve. They want to tear it apart and do a rebuild, replace the valve and solenoid, and find out the cause of the debris that caused the valve to get stuck.

Cost is $1200 to tear it apart and reassemble but additional required parts could run that up to $2000.

Any opinions?