2000 Hyundai Accent P0772 Code

yeowguy

Hi I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent with the trouble code P0722 and P0442. What could be the culprit?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does the speedo/odo work? If that is OK, then it may not be the OSS, as that input probably drives the speedo as well as being used for trans shifting.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, me being a prick. But those two codes don't interface. However, THEY DO SHARE A COMMON GROUND. Does the op know the difference between a TCM and a ECU? CAN or MUX line often use a common ground. Think of a TCM as being mars, a ecu/pcm being earth. Same solar system but not aligned in a binary algorithm. They don't speak the same language, so to speak. The only thing they share are the common ground. And that is it.

I could be wrong, but I think it would be easy to check the G11 ground. Why not?

In my opinion, BOTH codes should be addressed separately. I have seen guy's install TCM's when in fact it was a ground issue.

See snapshot below, G11 shares the same ground with the ECU and the TCM.

I could not find G11 location, but it must be close to the G10.

Here is a snapshot. Hoping this will help. Screenshot (547).png

Clean that up and post back if issue resolves itself.

Screenshot (546).png

Last edited:

yeowguy

Hey Bill the speedo does still work. I'm guessing if that's the case then nicks post may be the case? I'm assuming I would have to unplug the g11 from the ecu? How can I test the ground?

kev2

wrench
before we reinvent the wheel-
did you look at sensor*- connector tight corrosion free, wires undamaged ?
Before addressing wiring harness tracing wires pulling apart trim panels - If you do not have a scanner to see live data from OSS maybe DO the math - time to disassemble vehicle, ohm, get wiring diagrams check TSB's what is cost of the sensor?

I wonder if codes are really related - the code for evap system is a LEAK not a circuit or component code, I see as unrelated and 2 separate issues, unless there was a common time of occurrence or event, ie drove thru deep water, hit a pothole from hell etc .

PRICE of sensor vs time hassle work.
*sensor AKA - PG-B,

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask, and should have asked at the beginning:

Is the trans code P0772, like in the thread subject line; or is it P0722, like in the first text of the thread??? It makes a difference...

yeowguy

Kev I haven't checked the sensor just yet because I heard the sensor is behind the dash? Also Bill the code is p0722 sorry for the typo.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The OSS? That would be down on the transaxle someplace, where it can see a shaft turning at output speed (after the trans gearing).

kev2

wrench
its on the transmission- I added a diagram above to help locate it - not a great one but should help you.
try google for a better diagram of OSS sensor .....

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I gotta ask, and should have asked at the beginning:

Is the trans code P0772, like in the thread subject line; or is it P0722, like in the first text of the thread??? It makes a difference...
Yeah, that make a difference for sure.

I may have posted stuff for a P0772 (but I don't think so) It does not exist in the P code chart for/and P0442, but I am still looking at the wiring schematics, however, alldata did not see a (OSS) sensor.
I guess OSS means output shaft sensor.

TSB 00-40-011 or TSB 03-40-016 may apply here.

In the two TSB's they call then pulse generators.

@kev2, are we talking about a turbine input or output sender here? So I would say input/output sensor assembly.

This is what it should look like.
Screenshot (548).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
PIN testing is key here, before replacing the sensors? I seems to be a known issue on these korean models.

Check it out. Funny note, they say to use MOPAR Di-electric grease on a cheap korean car. I just had to laugh at that one.

For all data to say to use napa equivalent or Mopar MP-50, I guess the cheap lube they give in the OEM kit is the reason I always throw away that tube.