2000 impala trans ( jerks )

big al

Have a 2000 impala that sometimes jerks whene leaving a stop light or stop sighn. Intrmittant - does it only whene air temp and engine temp are warm ,usually above 60 degrees. Its perfect whene cold . During both conditions the transmission shift points are firm and crisp ( where there supposed to be ). If i leave the light or sign rolling it doesnt do it, only if i come to a dead stop. Almost seems to be a low fluid condition - checked several times it seems ok but fluid seems to be more (almost) clear than blood red like iam used to. Also has ALOT of bubbles on it at times but not always- doesnt smell burned it seems as tho something is grabbing & letting go then grabbing and letting go again. I plan on doing a filter and fluid change soon, does this tranny use DEXTRON 3 ? and iam told the pan gasket is reusable???? i always checked the fluid with tranny warm and idling

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
There is a bulletin on this symptom and it has to do with the pressure regulator solenoid. You can get the complete bulletin from alldatadiy or directly from the dealer. I recommend joining AlldataDiy as you can get the complete diagrams and instructions to replace the defective parts. Transman
Bulletin No.: 0O-07-30-002B

Date: July, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly)

big al

Do i use DEXTRON 3 in this trans ? also should i add a bottle of lubegaurd (red) . Does this trans take 7 quarts with filter??

crunch

wrench
big al said:
Do i use DEXTRON 3 in this trans ? also should i add a bottle of lubegaurd (red) . Does this trans take 7 quarts with filter??
How many miles on it?
Ever been serviced?
Fluid color red is only the amount of red dye that is in it.

As transman says get and go threw thw TSB.

Will take 6-7 qts for filter change.
If the thick rubber hard shell pan gasket you can reuse it.

I would use dex 3 if you have some or can get some.
They quit making Dex 3.
Gm says change over to GM Dexron 6.

I would stay with Dex 3 or go back to the mercon/dexron.
Carquest and a few other places have mercon/dexron.

Stay away from the multi purpose or fit all fluid that a lot of parts places and jiffie lube and wallmart push.

Yes Lube gaurd red if you use dexron 111 or dexron/mercon fluid.

Ford Mercon and Dexron 3 is now Dexron 6

A lot of parts places and even some so called Ford techs/dealers.
Are saying to use Multi purpose or Mercon V or other stuff..
Doing so may mess up you transmission.

Ford Mercon was fazed out to Mercon 3 several years ago.
Now Mercon 3 has been fazed out.

The only approved replacement for Mercon or Dexron 3 is Mercon 6.

All DEXRON®-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. That's why you're seeing multi-use fluid.
Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications. The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.
GM-approved brands of DEXRON®-VI This list represents the companies who have conducted the appropriate testing and received GM approval. Company name, license number, and brand name are shown.
DEXRON®-VI Service Fill Approved Fluids
Company License Number Trade Name
Advanced Lubrication Specialties
Allegheny Petroleum J-60152 Altra DEXRON®-VI Transmission Fluid
American Agip Co. Inc. J-60306 Agip DEXRON®-VI ATF
BP Lubricants USA, Inc. J-60309 Castrol DEXRON®-VI ATF
Chevron Corporation J-60005 Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Corporation J-60005 Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company J-60308 Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company J-60308 Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Citgo Petroleum Corporation J-60317 CITGO TRANSGARD DEXRON®-VI
ConocoPhillips J-60004 ConocoPhillips Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ConocoPhilips J-60004 Kendall Motor Oil Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ExxonMobil Corporation J-60002 ExxonMobil IMP 6544
Fuchs Petrolub AG J-60310 TITAN ATF 6000 SL
GMSPO J-60301 GM Vehicle Care DEXRON®-VI ATF
GMSPO J-60301 AC/Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International J-60304 Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International J-60311 Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Kuwait Petroleum J-60314 Q8 Auto D VI
Lubricating Specialties Company J-60322 Unitran DEXRON®-VI
Northland Products J-60316 Northland DEXRON®-VI ATF
PDVSA Deltaven S.A. J-60315 TRANSFLUIDO SINTEICO DVI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited J-60302 Penrite ATF DX-VI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited J-60312 Penrite ATF DX-VI
Petro-Canada Lubricants J-60001 Petro-Canada DEXRON®-VI ATF
Pinnacle Oil, Inc. J-60321
Pinnacle Resources, Inc. J-60320
SK Corporation J-60003 ZIC DEXRON®-VI
SOPUS Products J-60307
Valvoline J-60151 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline J-60319 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline (Australia) Pty Limited J-60313 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 COASTAL DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 WARREN DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 LUBRIGUARD DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 SERVICE PRO DEXRON®-VI

Here is some more to chew on, from GM, couldnt open the pdf for some reason, but here is the html version. http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:my0YPZQy57EJ:www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_31MY07.doc+Dexron+VI&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=48&gl=us

This is the html version of the file http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_31MY07.doc.
G o o g l e automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.
To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:my0YPZQy57EJ:www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_31MY07.doc+Dexron+VI&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=48&gl=us

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: dexron vi

General Motors DEXRON®-VI Global Service-Fill Specification

During early 2005 General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Since the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON®-III service-fill fluids available at the time it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON® service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON®-VI.

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949 it has been periodically necessary to upgrade the specification. This upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory fill fluid performance. It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRON®-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON®-VI fluid, i.e. DEXRON®-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON®-VI ATF. DEXRON®-III fluids should not be used for these applications where the owners manual recommends the use of DEXRON®-VI. GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON®-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

There is a published list of GM-approved brands of DEXRON®-VI (see page two of this release). This list represents the companies who have conducted the appropriate testing and received GM approval. Company name, license number, and brand name are shown. This list will be updated on a regular basis as more approved products are added.

DEXRON®-VI Service Fill Approved Fluids
Company License Number Trade Name
Advanced Lubrication Specialties J-60155 Advantage DEXRON®-VI
Allegheny Petroleum J-60152 Altra DEXRON®-VI Transmission Fluid
American Agip Co. Inc. J-60306 Agip DEXRON®-VI ATF
BP Lubricants USA, Inc. J-60309 Castrol DEXRON®-VI ATF
CAM2 Oil Products J-60327 CAM2 Synthetic ATF DEXRON®-VI
CAM2 Oil Products J-60329 CAM2 Synthetic ATF DEXRON®-VI
Carquest J-60323 Carquest DEXRON®-VI Full Synthetic ATF
Chevron Corporation J-60005 Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Corporation J-60005 Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company J-60308 Chevron ATF DEXRON®-VI
Chevron Products Company J-60308 Havoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Citgo Petroleum Corporation J-60317 CITGO TRANSGARD DEXRON®-VI
ConocoPhillips J-60004 ConocoPhillips Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ConocoPhilips J-60004 Kendall Motor Oil Company DEXRON®-VI ATF
ExxonMobil Corporation J-60002 ExxonMobil IMP 6544
ExxonMobil Corporation J-60002 Mobil DEXRON®-VI ATF
Fuchs Petrolub AG J-60310 TITAN ATF 6000 SL
GMSPO J-60301 GM Vehicle Care DEXRON®-VI ATF
GMSPO J-60301 AC/Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International J-60304 Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Gulf Oil International J-60311 Gulf DEXRON®-VI ATF
Hicks Oil Inc. J-60326 Formula 500
Kuwait Petroleum J-60314 Q8 Auto D VI
Lubricating Specialties Company J-60322 Unitran DEXRON®-VI
Morris Lubricants J-60324
Northland Products J-60316 Northland DEXRON®-VI ATF
PDVSA Deltaven S.A. J-60315 TRANSFLUIDO SINTEICO DVI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited J-60302 Penrite ATF DX-VI
Penrite Oil Company Pty Limited J-60312 Penrite ATF DX-VI
Petro-Canada Lubricants J-60001 Petro-Canada DEXRON®-VI ATF
Pinnacle Oil, Inc. J-60321
Pinnacle Resources, Inc. J-60320 Multipurpose DEXRON®-VI ATF
Schaeffer Manufacturing Company J-60325 Schaeffer DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants J-60307 A/C Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants J-60307 Quaker State ATF DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants J-60307 Pennzoil DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants J-60154 A/C Delco DEXRON®-VI ATF
Shell Lubricants J-60154 Quaker State ATF DEXRON®-VI
Shell Lubricants J-60154 Pennzoil DEXRON®-VI
SK Corporation J-60003 ZIC DEXRON®-VI
Smitty's Supply J-60153 Super S
Smitty's Supply J-60153 Sure Guard
Superior Lubricants J-60328 Tuxton DEXRON®-VI ATF
Total Lubrifiants J-60330
Valvoline J-60151 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline J-60319 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Valvoline (Australia) Pty Limited J-60313 Valvoline ATF DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 COASTAL DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 WARREN DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 LUBRIGUARD DEXRON®-VI
Warren Oil Company J-60318 SERVICE PRO DEXRON®-VI

big al

Crunch and Transman yes the car has been serviced, purchased from original owner and looked at all repair records, at some point had 2600 in trans work done. Also saw the reciept for remanned motor due to overheat.I changed filter and fluid - fluid was better than i thought it was- inside pan was clean with only a small amount of sludge by magnet, i cut filter apart to look inside and found very very little (almost nothing ) in it. Put it all back together and seems not as pronounced but more often? I DID as Transman asked and got alldata info he is right the tsb sounds like my problem, i can get line pressure info, descriptions, but whene i try to figure out how to replace it, all it tells me is inside trans. Can this repair be done in the vehical and how involved is it. My picture loos like it might have 2 o- rings that push into something and then bolt with a type of retainer similar the old distributers If i have to have thi done in a shop about how much should i expect to pay (only gesstimate) ??

crunch

wrench
The pressure regulater is inside the tramission side pan.
First step is gettig the side pan off.
The All Data should give you some helpon that end.
Scrach around in it and call or e mail them if you need help with finding the info on it.
Crunch

crunch

wrench
Open all data.
Go to transmission.
Go to case
Go to service and repair.
go to Case cover.

Ther will be 5 pages of info.
Copy it off
Good Luck