Toyota
Model
Rav4
Year
Miles
Engine
1AZ-FE 2.0L
Hi All

My Rav4 recently started misbehaving. After a random period of time all the Doors would unlock. No matter if they previously were locked or unlocked. Sometimes it's a few seconds betweem the Unlockings sometimes a few days.
The Key doesn't seem to be responsible as it can be too far away to work. But I took the battery out to be sure and the car still unlocks itself.
However when using the unlock button on the key or the driverside door the car tends to unlock 5-20 times without anyway to stop it.

After Discussing with a Vehicle Electrician i changed the Driverside J/B but that didn't help at all.

Despite Days of researching i can't find anything similiar online and all out of Ideas.

Thanks in Advance
Nick

billr

wrench
Staff member
Are you saying the electric door-locks will mysteriously unlock when the engine is off and the SLI (starting/lighting/ignition) battery is disconnected??? That is to say... when there is no electrical power available to operate the locks? Yeah, that is a weird one! Do you have an electrical multimeter and intend to track this down as a DIY effort?

paulo57509

"The Key doesn't seem to be responsible as it can be too far away to work. But I took the battery out to be sure and the car still unlocks itself...", I think the OP is referring to the battery in the FOB/Remote?

I would try to find the diagnostics for the lock actuators and start there.

I know of a Lexus LS400 that was randomly and repeatedly unlocking the doors. In this case it was traced to the mechanical lock in the driver side door. Note that the mechanical locks in an LS400 will also unlock a single door/all doors, open/close the windows and moon roof so there are more electrical functions connected to it.

Beatsten

"The Key doesn't seem to be responsible as it can be too far away to work. But I took the battery out to be sure and the car still unlocks itself...", I think the OP is referring to the battery in the FOB/Remote?
Yes they Battery in the Remote, sorry for being unclear.

I would try to find the diagnostics for the lock actuators and start there.
Will do, and report back.
Thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
The schematics can probably be found at <chime.li>

Again, do you have a meter? Are you going to be doing this as a DIYer?

Yeah, my mistake about the battery; I didn't read carefully enough.

Beatsten

The schematics can probably be found at <chime.li>

Again, do you have a meter? Are you going to be doing this as a DIYer?

Yeah, my mistake about the battery; I didn't read carefully enough.
Yeah i have a meter and i ma at least hoping to do it DIY.
Thanks for the link. I'll report back as soon as i have time.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, now that I know you are going to dig into it, I will review the info on that site and see if I can suggest anything.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Did you get past my next mistake? It is supposed to be "charm. li", not "chime.li"

Is yours 2-door or 4-door, 2WD or 4WD?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, there is some info on that Charm site that may be useful to you, but no schematics that I could find. I tried all door/drive combos.

GRC or nickb2, you have schematics?

grcauto

wrench
Operation CHARM: Car repair manuals for everyone.
Home >> Toyota Truck >> 2000 >> RAV4 2-Door 2WD L4-2.0L (3S-FE) >> Repair and Diagnosis >> Body and Frame >> Locks >> Power Locks >> Description and Operation

Power Locks: Description and Operation​

Current always flows to TERMINAL 6 of the integration relay through the PWR fuse.

1. MANUAL LOCK OPERATION
When the door lock control SW or door key lock and unlock SW are pushed to LOCK position, a lock signal is input to TERMINAL A 17 or A 18 of the integration relay and causes the relay to function. Current flows from TERMINAL 6 of the relay to TERMINALS A 10 and 12 to TERMINAL 5 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 2 of the rear door lock motors and TERMINAL 3 of the back door lock motor to TERMINAL 4 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 1 of the rear door lock motors and TERMINAL 1 of the back door lock motor to TERMINALS A 23 and 11 of the relay to TERMINALS 13 and A 11 to GROUND and the door lock motors causes the doors to lock.

2. MANUAL UNLOCK OPERATION
When the door lock control SW or door key lock and unlock SW are pushed to UNLOCK position, an unlock signal is input to TERMINAL A 15, A 19 or A 20 of the integration relay and causes the relay to function. Current flows from TERMINAL 6 of the relay to TERMINALS A 23 and 11 to TERMINAL 4 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 1 of the rear door lock motors, TERMINAL 1 of the back door lock motor to TERMINAL 5 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 2 of the rear door lock motors, TERMINAL 3 of the back door lock motor to TERMINALS A 10 and 12 of the relay to TERMINALS 13 and A 11 to GROUND and door lock motors causes doors to unlock.

3. DOUBLE OPERATION UNLOCK OPERATION
When the door key lock and unlock SW (Driver's side) is turned to the unlock side, only the driver's door is mechanically unlocked. Turning the door key lock and unlock SW (Driver's side) to the unlock side causes a signal to be input to TERMINAL A 15 of the relay, and if the signal is input again within 3 seconds by turning the SW to the unlock side again, current flows from TERMINALS A 23 and 11 of the integration relay to TERMINAL 4 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 1 of the rear door lock motors and TERMINAL 1 of the back door lock motor to TERMINAL 5 of the front door lock motors, TERMINAL 2 of the rear door lock motors and TERMINAL 3 of the back door lock motor to TERMINALS A 10 and 12 of the relay to TERMINALS 13 and A 11 to GROUND, causing the door lock motors to operate and unlock the doors.

pro multis · About Operation CHARM

grcauto

wrench
Operation CHARM: Car repair manuals for everyone.
Home >> Toyota Truck >> 2000 >> RAV4 2-Door 2WD L4-2.0L (3S-FE) >> Repair and Diagnosis >> Body and Frame >> Locks >> Power Locks >> Power Door Lock Relay >> Testing and Inspection

Power Door Lock Relay: Testing and Inspection​

INSPECT INSTRUMENT PANEL JUNCTION BLOCK CIRCUIT (Door Lock Control Relay)
a. Remove the instrument panel junction block.

b. Inspect the "A" connector on the instrument panel junction block side, as shown in the chart.
c. Disconnect the "B" connector from the instrument panel junction block and inspect the connectors on the wire harness side, as shown in the chart.

If circuit is as specified, try replacing the relay with a new one.
If circuit is not as specified, inspect the circuit connected to other parts.

INSPECT POWER MAIN RELAY CONTINUITY
If continuity is not as specified, replace the relay.

pro multis · About Operation CHARM

Beatsten

Did you get past my next mistake? It is supposed to be "charm. li", not "chime.li"
Yes, i stumbled across the site while researching so i knew what you meant. I don't know where to start on it however as i couldn't find anything useful.
Is yours 2-door or 4-door, 2WD or 4WD?
4-door, 4WD. But it is a ACA20, 06/00, so technically a Modelyear 2001.

I just realised that i forgot to add that i'm in Australia, so it's a RHD. But that shouldn't matter as far as i know. Except for the fact that everything is Mirrored.

Beatsten

Thank you GRC

But i can't find the equivalent Schematics for the 2001 Modelyear, so i don't know if those can help me.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Looking again at Charm, using 2001 as the MY, I got a bit further. It comes up with icons for three schematic sheets (for power locks); but the icons won't "open". Right-clicking on the icons brings up menu where I can select "source" and in that source-code I can find the specific image IDs like this: /images/IMP27Q313/asian740/832838259/

However, that is the extent of my capabilities. I don't know how to put that together with the basic Charm address.

Beatsten

Looking again at Charm, using 2001 as the MY, I got a bit further. It comes up with icons for three schematic sheets (for power locks); but the icons won't "open". Right-clicking on the icons brings up menu where I can select "source" and in that source-code I can find the specific image IDs like this: /images/IMP27Q313/asian740/832838259/

However, that is the extent of my capabilities. I don't know how to put that together with the basic Charm address.
I sent them a E-Mail as requested by the Error Message. Maybe they can fix the Images.

Hopefully i'll finally have Time tomorrow to look at the actuators.

Again thanks for all your help.