Make
Toyota
Model
Tunda
Year
Miles
Engine
4.7 V8
I have a good friend who has got a Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 V8 that tells me this truck starting all of sudden blowing a little puff of white smoke when he first started it up after sitting for an hour.

He has checked the coolant and not much missing. The truck runs fine but of course the red flag with the white smoke has made him park it until he can find the problem.
He has owned this truck for about 6 years. Miles are 169,000. He said it was for sure white smoke he saw. I am not looked at the truck for him and really don't plan on it but just checking if head gaskets were maybe an issue with these engines.

Is there any other place that coolant to get into this engine and cause this ? that we might not know about. One Toyota tech said he thought there might have been an issue with something causing coolant to get in around intake but he couldn't remember what that was.

No misfire codes set. Only a tiny amount of coolant missing. I told him I might pressure test the system but not sure that's going to find the problem if there really is one.

He claims the white smoke thing just started after he drove it about 15 miles and then parked it for an hour so maybe there might be really an issue with this but he sure hates to tear into this engine without knowing. I guess he could send off oil samples to see if coolant is showing in oil.

I also read where these trucks have a power steering control valve that has two vacuum lines connected and if they go bad it will pull a small amount of fluid into the intake and cause the truck to smoke on start up. Not sure if that might be the issue or not. The white smoke thing has always worried me but again it might be nothing.

NickD

wrench
Smoke or vapor, the Ford 3.8L was notorious with an aluminum head on a cast iron block, a leaky head gasket.

And so was the 1988 Toyota Supra engine, but for different reason, head bolts should be torqued at 75 ft-lbs, somebody mixed up the numbers and printed it at 57 ft-lbs.

Smoke has a burnt odor, coolant is sweet smelling but deadly, can destroy your kidneys. Coolant pressure test is easy to do, around 25 psi and should hold for hours. No need to guess.

tdark

Smoke or vapor, the Ford 3.8L was notorious with an aluminum head on a cast iron block, a leaky head gasket.

And so was the 1988 Toyota Supra engine, but for different reason, head bolts should be torqued at 75 ft-lbs, somebody mixed up the numbers and printed it at 57 ft-lbs.

Smoke has a burnt odor, coolant is sweet smelling but deadly, can destroy your kidneys. Coolant pressure test is easy to do, around 25 psi and should hold for hours. No need to guess.
Thanks NickD. I have a pressure tester and am back working in my shop but not on vehicles. I might give in and help him on this one though. I will let you know what we find out. I know quite well that smell of coolant after running a garage for 30 years. Sort of sickening smell knowing it ain't going to fix itself especially when it comes through the vents :) This is coming out of the tailpipe he tells me . Maybe I will give in and let him bring it to the shop. I normally get talked into things I don't want to do. Only to test it though. My days are finished in the truck and car department except for my own. :) Tom

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you seen the smoke yourself? White, grey, light-blue... they all kind of look the same. If this has come on suddenly, it seems likely something has changed (for the worse), but I wouldn't get too far off into the weeds with diagnosis based on color until I had seen it in person.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Classic "companion symptom" would be misfire at startup lasting 2-20 seconds. Coolant in a cylinder kills the spark until the plug dries enough to begin working again. Could be head gasket or intake gasket (some engine designs).

tdark

I have not seen it myself but I did question if about misfires and codes. If coolant is getting in the cylinder I would think it would set a misfire code on that cylinder. I just talked to him on the phone and he did say it was white smoke. I trust what he told me . He and I have worked together on different things over the years he understands oil smoke from coolant smoke. He said last week when it first did it the complete area around his truck was covered with white smoke all the way out in the parking lot so thats when he parked it and called me. He drove to the a business and was there about 45 minutes. When he went to start his truck to leave that's when the smoke appeared.

tdark

I told him to remove the spark plugs and lets take a look at them. I also loaned him my coolant pressure tester. I will get back with what we find

NickD

wrench
Yeah, gasoline, oil, and coolant in these things, all have to be isolated from each other.

Son has a 2014 Chrysler T&C with a 3.6L engine, 72K miles, says its running rich, snow is so bad, can't bring it over, hard to guess what the problem is. Also getting old, just turned 81.

Snow and ice broke off the right front inner fender liner, had to replace it yesterday. Easy to get down, not so easy to get back up again. First time that ever happened.

tdark

Yeah, gasoline, oil, and coolant in these things, all have to be isolated from each other.

Son has a 2014 Chrysler T&C with a 3.6L engine, 72K miles, says its running rich, snow is so bad, can't bring it over, hard to guess what the problem is. Also getting old, just turned 81.

Snow and ice broke off the right front inner fender liner, had to replace it yesterday. Easy to get down, not so easy to get back up again. First time that ever happened.
Be careful around that snow. I don't have to deal with that where I live. Just rain rain and more rain

NickD

wrench
Talked to my kid, sounds like a class A code that automatically resets itself, says everything is running find. Probably little moisture in the gas for a short misfire.

Does needs new brakes all around, we received six inches more snow yesterday, and our car was outside. It melted inside the garage and the floor is all wet. Not fun lying on a wet floor.

tdark

I did go to where the truck was today. It did smoke but its not white. Its more of a blue and smells like oil. It did smoke a lot but finally cleared up. I think the problem may be the power steering control valve as he did mention he as lost some fluid. I have read if it goes bad it will pull power steering fluid into intake. I will check it for him later this week as he is still under the weather. I made him stay inside when I checked it lol Updates coming soon. Tom

grcauto

I did go to where the truck was today. It did smoke but its not white. Its more of a blue and smells like oil. It did smoke a lot but finally cleared up. I think the problem may be the power steering control valve as he did mention he as lost some fluid. I have read if it goes bad it will pull power steering fluid into intake. I will check it for him later this week as he is still under the weather. I made him stay inside when I checked it lol Updates coming soon. Tom
That would be a good place to go next.

Mobile Dan

wrench
I hope the vacuum hoses are easy to reach. Mark them, remove and look for oil in the hoses and the valve. With the hoses removed, see if oil squirts out of the valve ports when you run the engine and turn the steering wheel.