2001 cavalier starts and runs for 2 seconds

andrew

2001 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 L, 101,000 miles, starts and runs for 2 seconds. I wait to hear fuel pump charge up, crank and it starts right up but only runs for 2 seconds. Repeated many times but same result. I do not have a fuel gauge but suspected a fuel pressure regulator, so I installed a new one but did not fix the problem. Nuts! Help! I hope its not the fuel pump.

andrew

I read in someone elses post that it could be an "idle air control valve'...any thoughts? Where is this valve? How can I check it?

Can you keep it running by pressing the gas pedal ?
Personally I would be more inclined to suspect that its a fuel filter issue. When was the last time it was serviced ?

Ford_Dude

Try having someone start it and spray carb cleaner in the intake...if it keeps running you know it is a fuel problem......you need to get a fuel pressure gauge on this thing...Fuel System Pressure Key On Engine Off 53-59 psi ..........Jim

Does your car have a factory-installed security system? If so, it may have malfunctioned, and now is preventing you from "stealing" your own car.

Gus

wrench
Sounds like a PassLock problem, the fuel injectors are being disabled after the initial prime....

andrew

Okay..wow..lots of responses...thanks.
1. No, cannot keep car running by pressing the gas pedal.
2. I have not changed the fuel filter.
3 Car has an aftermarket security system which we never enable but has not caused any problems.
4. Where do you connect the fuel pressure gauge on a Cavalier?
5. What is a Pass-lock problem? What should I do to fix that?

When you are on the webpage that has the list of forums, type the word passlock in the search field on upper right.....read all about it.

Theft system light should blink with passlock problems, GM did dump this system with way too many consumer complaints. Without x-ray vision, kind of worthless in determining fuel system problems, need a fuel pressure tester. Also can't feel 12 volts, so need a voltmeter. Mind reading is also very poor, so need a circuit diagram with component placement and specs on the fuel system. Don't like the feel of 40KV so chicken out and use a spark gap tester. To troubleshoot these problems, do require some very basic test equipment and information. I am not good at guessing either.

When you said your engine runs for two seconds, was that measured with a stop watch, or was that an approximation, a better word than a guess?

Could take you car to shop that takes credit card, was looking at my CC invoice, the low monthly payments were actually lower than there interest rates, wonder how they do that? You will be making payments for the rest of your life and be going deeper in debt. Or get some basic test equipment.

Gus

wrench
Passlock, is a theft deterrant system......if the PassLock sensor doesn't send the correct R-code, fuel to the injectors is disabled(in some cases, it will disable cranking also)....IF THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS FOR TWO SECONDS, have someone spray carb cleaner into the intake....if it continues to run while spraying, this just about confirms the PassLock problem(of course if you had a scan tool, a B2958, B2960, P1626, etc would also confirm it).....If this procedure works, chances are you will need a new Passlock sensor....

Try this:

Pull the E-brake lever....attach a jumper box to the battery...

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

hoodjuggz

have you done anything recently dealing around your throttle body. if your iac is messed up/out of position/or even unplugged your car wont know how much fuel to put in anyhow. as far as anti theft i havent really had many problems that ive seen but i have had to replace my iac 3 times in my 97 cavalier (its old with high milage but i love that lil car)(better gas milage then my ram).

Gus

wrench
Forgot to mention this....you say there is an aftermarket security system in there? I'd take it out and repair the wires....

andrew

fixed
Gus, THANKS! You were right on! The problem was in the aftermarket remote start system (installed by the previous owner).
Once it was removed, the car started and operated per spec. Wierd....car ran fine for 5 years....never used the remote start nor touched it....kinda scary when stuff like this pops up out of the blue! Fortunately we were very close to home when it occcurred.
Thanks again!

abrad

Congrats on your fixed - mine turned out to be the fuel pump ouch - what a pain removing the tow hitch, then the tank shield and drop the tank (fortunately I was down to a 1/4 tank, but the combined weight had to be about 60-70 pounds)