2001 Chevy Taho 4.8l v8 with problems

Can not get the code reader to link with computer it will start an then it stop and gives and error code it stops at kws p2000 point on the screen could the computer be bad or the wiring from the computer to the hook-up in the truck be bad having messages pop-up in the box in the truck but can not read the codes for the message Reduced engine power and service check light I'm figureing Map sensor or EGR valve but I need to get the codes out first, any good words or ideas would help thanx

billr

wrench
Staff member
Check the code reader on another vehicle or two, then start checking ground wires and straps on the subject Tahoe.

I am thinking this would get more views if in DOMESTICS forum....?

I will ask moderator....

Some quick questions to get this rolling along....have you useed this scanner on another vehicle to confirm it does work....
your dash warning lights are showing.... reduced power AND CEL is on?
tell us history- repairs, MODIFICATIONS, add ons ie chips, filters, remote aftermarket alarm... describe drivability issues...

PS autozone and other parts houses do FREE scans - might confirm if a scanner issue....free

First thing I would check would be the fuses, the cig. lighter in particular. If its not that then I would start digging deeper. I did see a very good video on youtube about an 03 suburban with a no start no communication http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGreasybob#p/u/17/U755mRR6lKI .

Ford_Dude

What kind of scanner? See you can buy a brand new GMTech II scanner on ebay for as cheap as $935.00, but from China with no returns, cheapest USA price is $1,756.55, but the shipping is free.

Can you at least reset the codes with your scanner? Can't do that anymore by disconnecting the battery thanks to flashram and secret esoteric codes.

I am still in the stone age days in automotive diagnosis, EGR came out in 1972 and the only means to test it was manually, no such things as codes. If it wasn't working would be in for an expensive valve job. MAP essentially replaced centrifugal and vacuum advance, like an epoxy filled module with some cheap ass electronics on the inside they charge a small fortune for is any better than the fully adjustable mechanical type. Likewise the ECT, CAS, TPS, O2, MAF, IAC, PFE, etc., can also be manually tested. What's really bad if the EGR detection sensor is defective, have a defective EGR valve, no codes and your engine is burning up without warning.

Most common PITA codes deal with the fuel evaporative system, do you really need a code to tell you your engine is misfiring when its backfiring like crazy and your top speed on the highway is 40 mph? Same with ABS codes as long as the integrity of the system barely works, no codes, but only get a code when its stone dead.

When these scanners first came out and you took your car into a dealer under warranty because your back bumper was falling off. Would tell you, that isn't true, scanner shows no codes to that effect. Most of it is just completely opened or shorted circuits, not a damn thing about being completely out of tolerance.

Compared to military diagnostic systems where complete reference sensors are used, this automotive stuff is nothing short of a bad joke. They even use consumer grade microcontrollers that have no business in an automotive environment. As cheap and dirty as they can make it. And we wonder why we have problems.