yonada

Make
Ford
Model
Crown Vic base
Year
Miles
Engine
Turn signals and hazards stopped working, headlights stay on when key is on. Air bag light flahes then stays on.

yonada

Also dome light out and defogger light does not come on.

yonada

This all happened at once? A little history is in order.
Everything was normal Friday afternoon when I came home from work - signals functioning normally. Sunday went to take dog to vet, that’s when I noticed no turn signals. When I got home did walkaround and noticed headlights on. No tail lights or license plate light noted this morning.

yonada

Another symptom - went to check fuses again. Noted courtesy lights on very dim - like a pair of AA batteries hooked up to it. Starting to think LCM went south. But the airbag light puzzles me...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This sounds like a restrictive ground to the body control module.

In 2001, ford adopted a mux/can/bus line that needed a new protocal. If one of those communiction lines breaks down, you get a plethora of wierd symptoms just as you are describing. There is no way in hell all these systems failed unless they share a common B+, but normally, those are all fused for protection, but ground choke points will do this. SO My shyte advice, clean all grounds. Then see what happens, you might not end up throwing useless modules at a problem that just needed a bit of elbow grease. ;)

On the right front fender, there is a ground choke point that is essential. Check it out.

I think what is happening right now, is you are having a module communication network problem as ford was very fuzzy about back then.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Noted courtesy lights on very dim - like a pair of AA batteries hooked up to it. Starting to think LCM went south. But the airbag light puzzles me...
I don't know what a LCM is in relation to airbag, I am waiting to be enlightened, but hey, I have seen lighting control modules fuss/f@ck with the network. So that is a possibility, but first, as wrote before, easy stuff to check, GROUNDS.

Half the stuff I find in troubleshooting sounds like george carlin and how plastic fed everything up.

yonada

This sounds like a restrictive ground to the body control module.

In 2001, ford adopted a mux/can/bus line that needed a new protocal. If one of those communiction lines breaks down, you get a plethora of wierd symptoms just as you are describing. There is no way in hell all these systems failed unless they share a common B+, but normally, those are all fused for protection, but ground choke points will do this. SO My shyte advice, clean all grounds. Then see what happens, you might not end up throwing useless modules at a problem that just needed a bit of elbow grease. ;)

On the right front fender, there is a ground choke point that is essential. Check it out.

I think what is happening right now, is you are having a module communication network problem as ford was very fuzzy about back then.
By the “choke point” I assume you mean the two green screws by the battery. SO - I’m charging my cordless Dremel and will remove the leads, sand down, and re-attach, then spray some primer over it. Also have some bonding staps, I’ll run one from the fender to the frame. If there are any other specific points you can think of to check, let me know.

yonada

I don't know what a LCM is in relation to airbag, I am waiting to be enlightened, but hey, I have seen lighting control modules fuss/f@ck with the network. So that is a possibility, but first, as wrote before, easy stuff to check, GROUNDS.

Half the stuff I find in troubleshooting sounds like george carlin and how plastic fed everything up.
One of my favorite comedy guys! His “Incomplete list of impolite words” is my favorite track.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If there are any other specific points you can think of to check, let me know.
From memory, one of the grounds that sucks on these car is the one down by right front fender, much like an econoline. So I think I said that twice now. Yes and yes to dremel and primer. That is the kosher way to correct factory default.

I know we are talking about a ford, but electricity in 2000+ cars changed quite a bit, but ford was ahead of the game this way and just ended up confusing the end user.

Anyway, I tried to find 2001 airbag codes. I guess that maybe is onl for usa models. I am from canada, some very slight differences happen with lobbying.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, witts end, can't find any mention of air bag code with a flash method in a 2001 c vic. Could it be the cluster is getting a bad mux/bus line serial, and what you are really seeing is a flickering abs light?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As of 99 if memory serves right, all abs codes for ford where c chassis codes. Only with a rabs unit were you able to flash dash codes. And really, never saw a crown vic that was fixed like a ranger unless it got foxed.

So on the premise I am maybe sounding conceited, I have been foxing interceptors since I was 19rs old. As long as I don't drive them, my criminal history is nothing to them. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, had to go back and check the data base, only 2 digit codes I am seeing are for the air suspension module.

This pdf is long but worth the read, bt I will try this snapshot. Better english than mine. 1560221559252.png

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Step #3 of above snapshot is crucial to the trouble shoot. You miss that, you throwing useless modules and hrs of time wasted hooking up to servers updating a mis diagnosed electrical problem.