2001 Dodge Dakota (4.7L) Parking Lamp relay makes clicking sound, parking lights doing weird things.

75stingray

Make
Dodge
Model
Dakota
Year
Miles
Engine
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota (4.7L) and there is a clicking noise coming from the side dash fuse/relay box on left side of dash. Also, my exterior parking lights have been acting strange. Sometimes they blink very quickly after I've turned the truck off and the only way to get them to stop is to restart and turn off the truck. Also, most times they remain on for about 1-3 minutes after turning the truck off. I took out the relay and replaced it with the horn replay since it was the same and the problem persists. I've now just removed the parking lamp relay entirely but this causes me to no longer have dashboard lights at night when lights are on. Suggestions? Thank you in advance!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I would look in the PDC area for irish green

PDC area is the power distribution box, and look for irish green underneath.

Irish green means green corrsion often associated with GM and mopar PDC center boxes

This is a widely known issue in this year range.

Just flip the pdc over once all the big lock connectors are gingerly removed, you should see some traces of irish green stuff.

Using CLR and or something similar to clean the contacts, blow air, use di grease, and reasemble. Lets us know if problem goes away.

;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also, interogate the BCM if you have such a capable scanner, this may help pinpoint, if not, I will walk you threw this if you want to go further and have a multimeter at least.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, if you do find green, and CLR ate away a some contacts, I have found that some contact spray such as wurth contact lacquer works real good for restoring the system. But this is just a short measure. But I am assuming this dakota is on last legs being it is so old.

Up here in quebec, these trucks no longer roam the roads. They are collectables now. They did not fare well in quebec country in northern here,

Here is a link to what I use. https://shop.wurth.ca/electrical/electrical-chemicals/contact-cleaners-protectors/contact-spray/CONTACT-SPRAY-300-ML/890.100/

I am not saying to use this specific one, but something like it.

;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But another issue to not over look is the DRL module.

But if my memory serves right, this was only for canada, and I think you might be from usa if u have a 75 stingray

But we gad huge , and I mean huge issues on those dakota module on the left side clipped to inner fender liner.

You may want to know why I know this, I was a tech for mopar in those yrs.

But up in quebec city. Rules are different for USA, you guys dont have DRL modules from what I know back then.

And here I start rambling, cus I once remeber having a usa chart for this specific problem, not same truck in front end lighting dept.

SO if I give you a chart, it WILL be canada.

75stingray

Of note, if you do find green, and CLR ate away a some contacts, I have found that some contact spray such as wurth contact lacquer works real good for restoring the system. But this is just a short measure. But I am assuming this dakota is on last legs being it is so old.

Up here in quebec, these trucks no longer roam the roads. They are collectables now. They did not fare well in quebec country in northern here,

Here is a link to what I use. https://shop.wurth.ca/electrical/electrical-chemicals/contact-cleaners-protectors/contact-spray/CONTACT-SPRAY-300-ML/890.100/

I am not saying to use this specific one, but something like it.

;)
Thank you for the info! Truck was my dad's and is actually in almost perfect shape (interior/exterior/engine). Looks practically new so definitely want to try and keep it up as nicely as he did :)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Truck was my dad's and is actually in almost perfect shape (interior/exterior/engine). Looks practically new so definitely want to try and keep it up as nicely as he did
Good to hear, hunters up here like them for, well, hunting. And they were pretty tuff.

Anyway, here is a wiring of you truck for exterior lights, hope it helps.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I got 5 to 6 likes on this thread which I dont really think I deserved, but wanted to know, is the issue fixed, and if so, what fixed it. :cool: :bat:

75stingray

I got 5 to 6 likes on this thread which I dont really think I deserved, but wanted to know, is the issue fixed, and if so, what fixed it. :cool: :bat:
Grateful for the info...still working on it...stay tuned :)