2001 dodge ram van 5.9l 46re auto transmission lost 1st gear

walley80

my 2001 dodge ram van 1500 with 5. 9l and 46re 4speed auto loss 1st gear today along with a check engine light. this van has 113,000 miles on it and at 75,000 miles i replaced tranny filter and mopar 4 tranny fluid. anyone with any ideas if this is major or something simple to fix. i still have reverse but starts out in 2nd gear and then shifts normal,downshifts normal and overdrive button works. thanks, walley80

walley80

this morning i got a code of p1762 at the digital read out at dash, thanks, walley80

crunch

wrench
walley80 said:
this morning i got a code of p1762 at the digital read out at dash, thanks, walley80
It is trying to tell you your problem. :ROFL
Code 1762 is.
You have a governor pressure or circuit problem.
You will need a good transmision scanner and a good volt ohm meter to check it out.
Also some good repair info.
Like.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Are you going to try to DIY it or head for repair shop?

pettis

Very common failure with these transmissions. Replace governor pressure sensor and
the governor solenoid. Dealer suggests replacing both regardless of which one has failed.
While you're in there, filter, gasket and fresh atf4. Alldata or manual will show you where they are
located.

crunch

wrench
pettis said:
Very common failure with these transmissions. Replace governor pressure sensor and
the governor solenoid. Dealer suggests replacing both regardless of which one has failed.
While you're in there, filter, gasket and fresh atf4. Alldata or manual will show you where they are
located.
Proper testing before throwing parts at it.

Open and read.
PDF below

[attachment deleted by admin]

walley80

thanks crunch and pettis for getting back with me so soon, i can get a good ohm meter but no tranny scanner. is it a difficult job to replace these parts? i replaced tranny filter and adjusted the bands and new atf-4 fluid at 75,000 miles myself with no problems! also i am able to still drive it starting out in 2nd gear, am i doing more damage to the tranny. if it is a easy fix i will do in my driveway or major fix i will take it to a reputable shop about 7 miles away. i don't want to get stuck on the side of the road!!!
thanks again, walley80

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Once tested and found to be the problem, the sensor & solenoids are cake to replace. Yes, you can be doing serious damage to the trans by driving it with a problem, please stop driving and test for the defective parts. It could be something as simple as a bad ground and silly to destroy the tranny for something so simple. Transman

walley80

thanks transman,
i will see about getting the proper testing and leave it in the driveway.

thanks, walley80

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Great news Walley. If you need procedures, try AlldataDiy. A pressure gauge able to hit 200 psi should be sufficient. A scanner that can read trans data would be extremely helpful also. Transman

walley80

fixed crunch, transman,and pettis.
thank you all for your input. i ended up replacing the governor pressure sensor and silenoid. i was only able to only pump out a little over 11 quarts of tranny fluid(kind of dark). had the normal stuff at the magnet. replace the filter and pan gasket and put it all together. now i have 1st gear again and shifts very good. finished off by pulling the positive termnal off battery for about 15 min. to clear the code(engine light at the dash).
seams like everything is ok!

thanks to all,
walley80

crunch

wrench
Glad it is fixed.
But you are luckie you did not kill it. :ROFL
How did you pump out 11 qts?
We hope you did not start the engine and pump it as dry as you can get it which is a good way to fry it.

On disconnecting the pos cabel that is a good way to kill the computers and every thing electrical.
:stop doing that for sure.
And it does not stored clear codes and adaptive data.

Codes need to be cleared with a engine and transmission capable sanner.