2001 ford windstar DTC P0171

To solve my problem (P0171) the manual references Technical Service Bulletin TSB-03-16-1 or TSB-1-20-5 Does anybody know the contents of these TSB's? Thanks, Bob

Is the P0171 the only code you are getting??
If so, these TSBs are not likely much help.

01-20-5 is an informational bulletin regarding the use of Rotunda's Vacutec 522 - Smoke Leak Detector Machine to help detect vacuum or air leaks in the engine compartment air intake or vacuum system.

03-16-1 is regarding both P0171 and P0174
(1999-2001 ONLY). Inspect the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator for looseness, leaks and/or oil contamination and replace Vacuum Line (XF2Z-9E498-DD) if required.

If the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator is loose at the manifold (due to oil contamination), replace the vacuum line (9E498) and install a new design LH service valve cover (6582). Another vacuum leak source is the gasket (9H486) between the upper and lower intake manifold assemblies caused by a loss of tension at the isolator bolt assemblies (9S479) due to contamination of the rubber grommets from excessive oil pullover.

NOTE USING A SHOP LIGHT OR FLASHLIGHT, CHECK THE LH VALVE COVER TO SEE IF IT HAS ALREADY BEEN UPDATED TO THE LATEST LEVEL. REMOVE THE PCV VALVE AND RUBBER GROMMET FROM THE VALVE COVER AND LOOK THROUGH THE HOLE AT THE INTERNAL SHEET METAL BAFFLE. THE OLD STYLE VALVE COVER BAFFLE HAS A 3/16" DIAMETER HOLE IN THE 5:00 O'CLOCK POSITION AS YOU LOOK THROUGH THE PCV HOLE (FIGURE 1). VALVE COVERS FITTING THIS DESCRIPTION MUST BE REPLACED.

Do not replace PCM (Powertrain Control Module), MAF (Mass Air Flow), or HEGOs (Heated Oxygen Sensors), as these parts are not the root cause of the lean codes conditions described.

NOTE USING A SHOP LIGHT OR FLASHLIGHT, CHECK THE LH VALVE COVER TO SEE IF IT HAS ALREADY BEEN UPDATED TO THE LATEST LEVEL. REMOVE THE PCV VALVE AND RUBBER GROMMET FROM THE VALVE COVER AND LOOK THROUGH THE HOLE AT THE INTERNAL SHEET METAL BAFFLE. THE OLD STYLE VALVE COVER BAFFLE HAS A 3/16" DIAMETER HOLE IN THE 5:00 O'CLOCK POSITION AS YOU LOOK THROUGH THE PCV HOLE (FIGURE 1). VALVE COVERS FITTING THIS DESCRIPTION MUST BE REPLACED.

(ALL 1999-2003). Remove the upper intake and replace only port gaskets (9H486) and isolator bolt assemblies (9S479). The new isolator bolt assemblies use a rubber material that is green in color, do not use the old isolator bolt assemblies with the black rubber material (XF2Z-AA). Do not replace any other intake parts (black plastic or aluminum) or the lower intake gaskets, (9439 and 9A424/425) or the upper intake clamshell gasket (9461). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01, Intake Manifold-Upper.

(ALL 1999-2003). While the upper intake manifold is removed, check the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) orifices that are pressed into each primary port of the lower intake manifold. If any of the orifices are plugged with soot, clean and unplug them with a pick and solvent.

autodr

The first one is just an informational TSB and doesn' solve and issues. The seoond one will only be of help if the fuel pressure reg. hose is swollen and falling off or a leaking upper intake seal. There are more TSBs on that van about lean issues.

The upper intake seals leak vacuum, and the bolts that secure the upper intake to the lower must also be replaced. Lastly, the van should get the PCM recalibrated with the latest programming. The lower intake has IMRC hafts that stick out on the fron of the intake and they leak vacuum at the shafts. The recalibration is to compensate for that vacuum leakage at the IMRC shafts by shifting the base injector pulse width per calculated load precentage. But, sometimes the lower intake still has to be replaced. All of this is assuming the lean codes are being set by a vacuum leak. If it is lean at idle, it is probably a vacuum leak.

If it is lean at cruise or accelleration, it is likely a bad fuel pump, restricted fuel filter, or bad mass air flow sensor.

Ofcourse, all of that is out the window if you pumped "gas" in it from one of the green gas pumps that says "E85" on it. If so.. then that will be your "lean" code and just run it out and put gasoline in it's place.

Many thanks to both Tony & Autodr. I do have two DTC's P0171 & P0174. I now have a good list of possible causes to check out. It's good to have people like you that know what you are doing. Thank you, Bob

Here is the Entire bulletin with images.

http://members.troublecodes.net/techs/Ford/windstar/03-16-1.pdf

M

mac

I've dealt with this tsb on a regular basis in our shop for the last year or so for PO174 and 175. Remove and inspect the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. The wire on the end of the sensor is most likely dirty. Clean the sensor wire with brake-cleaner. Re-install, clear codes and re-check.

Can you please repost the pdf of tsb 03-16-1? Above it says that it "is regarding both P0171 and P0174 (1999-2001 ONLY)." I have a 2003 Windstar. Does this even apply for code P0174 on my van? If not, can someone help with P0174 on 2003?

In addition to P0174, I am receiving P1518 (IMRC stuck open). Can someone help with this code?

Also, after doing quite a bit of research on the internet, I have found that many owners of windstars complain about their interior lights flickering intermitently. My dealer replaced the passenger side door ajar switch but that didnt help. Has anone solved this well known issue? Note that none of the door indicator lights are lit on the dash except when the lights flicker on and then off.

Thanks,

Chris

ironhead

As for the Intake Manifold Runner Control code, check to make sure the linkage is still attached to the IMRC shafts and that the shafts move freely. These vans also have a problem with vacuum leaks which can cause the lean code (P0174). Usually where the upper intake (plastic) bolts to the lower intake (aluminum). They are also known for the IMRC shafts to leak so while you are checking for free movement, also check for any play in the bearings. These were known for oil to get into the intake manifold through the breather ( they have a revised front valve cover to help the problem). The oil attacks the seals and grommets where the 2 parts join and where the IMRC shafts come out of the lower manifold. Usually you can see oil residue around the part that is leaking.
On the interior lights. The door ajar switches, which are in the latches, are very problematic on these vans. Often if you can`t duplicate the problem, you end up replacing all of them. There is one in each front door and one on each side of the rear lift-gate. I believe there is also one in each slider, though I have never had to replace one of those. I have seen the contacts at the front of the slider get dirty, and this will cause the same problem. Those can be cleaned with a fine scotch-brite pad or fine steel wool.
Hope that helps,
Keep us posted.
Guy