2001 Grand prix Transmission not shifting?

buddha131

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:pontiac
MODEL:Grand Prix SE
YEAR:2001
MILES:240,000
ENGINE
:3100
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Vehicle will start moving in first/second? Gets up to 25 mph but won't up shift in Drive. RPM tach was at 3000 to3500 and still no up shift. Tried in lower gear and no help. All possible fuses ok. Fluid was looking reddish color and no burning smell. Need help if any.

kev2

wrench
Scan the system for likely codes... post ALL codes. Scan especially if the CEL is off.
Free scans at most auto parts stores...

buddha131

Scan the system for likely codes... post ALL codes. Scan especially if the CEL is off.
Free scans at most auto parts stores...
p0713 p0650 codes come up? It does say PCM has failed, TFT sensor is damaged TFT has failed.

Last edited:

kev2

wrench
DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit
DTC P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor Circuit High Input

How did we diagnose a failed PCM?

buddha131

DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit
DTC P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor Circuit High Input

How did we diagnose a failed PCM?
Correct, I only read the Possible Causes on the code summary paper they gave me. Failed PCM was on both. Forgot to state in first post that the car sat for a year.

kev2

wrench
clear the codes, charge the battery fully, check the harness to trans no rodent damage or something equally obvious, check the fluid level. Also check the other sensors ie IAT and ECT, operate and check if code returns...

P0650 The CEL should come on at every stsrt - yes no

buddha131

they are famos for a wire problem from pcm to the transmission we do about 10 GM cars for wire harness problem
Started to take vehicle to transmission shop for closer look, When 2 miles out. Transmission started to shift normally.
Still at shop for Scanning?? Could this be a stuck or bad solenoid? Results coming soon.

Last edited:

EricC

Website
facebook.com
Started to take vehicle to transmission shop for closer look, When 2 miles out. Transmission started to shift normally.
Still at shop for Scanning?? Could this be a stuck or bad solenoid? Results coming soon.
After sitting for a year, it could be a lot of things. If the battery was completely dead, the trans adapts likely reset. This would cause an apparent issue with shift timing. As was mentioned before, wiring issues due to unwanted visitors under the hood or the normal GM FWD wiring issues of the harness rubbing on the bell housing. Sediment/debris moving through the system possibly hanging in a valve.

Get your results back from the shop and update.

buddha131

After sitting for a year, it could be a lot of things. If the battery was completely dead, the trans adapts likely reset. This would cause an apparent issue with shift timing. As was mentioned before, wiring issues due to unwanted visitors under the hood or the normal GM FWD wiring issues of the harness rubbing on the bell housing. Sediment/debris moving through the system possibly hanging in a valve.

Get your results back from the shop and update.
EricC, you may have hit the problem with dead battery,Or one of the above. Tranny shop had it over a week and no one wanted to seriously look at it, so i drove it home with no issues yet. I will keep in touch if I find something. Your forum is awesome. Thank You