2001 Toyota Camry-Brake Warning Light

josiah

My neighbor has a 2001 Camry LE. At first the brake warning light came on occasionally, but now the light stays on constantly after you start the engine. (1)The car starts fine, (2) the brake fluid level is fine and (3) the emergency brake is off. I checked my Toyota service manual and found nothing. Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Mobile Dan

wrench
How does the pedal feel?

Have you added brake fluid recently?

Sometimes a "see-through" reserviour develops a "bathtub ring", and looks like level is OK, but it's not.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Remove the 2pin connector at brake level sensor, if light goes out, most likely you have a brake level sensor short if the level is truly to full line on reservoir. Bypass the harness 2pin connector, if the light comes on, and when bypass/bobby pin or similar is removed light goes out, it is safe to say wiring is intact. With bypass connected, wiggle the harness and observe the light. Does it flicker or go out?

Also, the float may just be stuck. If my memory serves right, the float is integral to cap. Try cleaning that with brake cleaner and operate the float a few times back and forth. Then try again with the connector connected. In the up position, off, does the light go out now? In lowered position, on, does light come on?

Another way is with a DVM. Check continuity of switch itself. See snapshots. One way is like I said, bypass harness side. Other way(snapshot 1) is by siphoning the fluid.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    61.6 KB · Views: 12

josiah

Remove the 2pin connector at brake level sensor, if light goes out, most likely you have a brake level sensor short if the level is truly to full line on reservoir. Bypass the harness 2pin connector, if the light comes on, and when bypass/bobby pin or similar is removed light goes out, it is safe to say wiring is intact. With bypass connected, wiggle the harness and observe the light. Does it flicker or go out?

Also, the float may just be stuck. If my memory serves right, the float is integral to cap. Try cleaning that with brake cleaner and operate the float a few times back and forth. Then try again with the connector connected. In the up position, off, does the light go out now? In lowered position, on, does light come on?

Another way is with a DVM. Check continuity of switch itself. See snapshots. One way is like I said, bypass harness side. Other way(snapshot 1) is by siphoning the fluid.

josiah

I just talked to my neighbor. He told me he took the car for the state inspection. Afterwards, when he picked up the car the brake warning light was off, and it stayed off. He called the mechanic who performed the inspection and asked him what had he done, the mechanic simply added brake fluid, and the brake warning light has not come on since.
So Mobile Dan and Nickb2 you were right. I hope this helps someone. Thanks. :)

EricC

Glad to hear he got the light off, but if the fluid was low enough to trigger it, it may be time to inspect the pads and/or shoes for wear.

JackC

wrench
Agree with Eric, cars do not USE brake fluid, either there is a leak or the pads are worn down. ( possibly so far they need replacing)