2001 Vw Beetle , I keep getting code po103 I can't get rid off!!

Joe69

2001 Vw Beetle Auto,65kmiles. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, air filter, plugs, new maf sensor, a broken vacuum hose. I still keep getting the code Po103 with the check engine light on. After I erase the code will come back in one day. |!!|
I'll try to clean the throttle body and change the O2 sensor and see if it helps. I need to bring this car for smog check real soon.
Any ideas will be highly appreciated, thanks Joe!

kev2

wrench
look for a vacuum leak* after the MASS, the air ducting, vacuum lines, PCV. etc

likely unmetered air entering intake...

Joe69

Thank you for your input, I'll will search for vacuum leaks and keep you posted. Thanks!

Joe69

I did use carb cleaner and spray around the intake and near the vacuum hoses and there was no change I also cleaned up the throtle body. I don't know if I bought a defective aftermarket Maf sensor! Keep getting code po103!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sorry I didn't bother to look before at what P0103 is... I read that to be either the circuit is open or the MAF reading is out-of-range high. Neither would be because of a vacuum leak. Check wiring and connectors from the MAF sensor back to the PCM. Do you have a scan-tool that shows MAF in live-data? Yeah, you could have a defective (new) MAF sensor, it happens even with the best of brands; especially if the store you bought it from accepts and just re-stocks electrical returns, doesn't scrap them or send out for test before re-stocking.

Joe69

Re: 2001 Vw Beetle , Now I get code PO171!!

I put back the old Maf sensor and now I keep getting code PO171. I don't know if this code is related to the O2 sensor or if it still is a vacuum leak. Code PO103 is gone. I'll appreciate any input, thanks!!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Or the P0171 could be because of a fault still in the MAF circuit. Is that MAF sensor pretty easy to change? I would put the "new" one back in and see what codes you get. If the codes keep moving around when you unplug/plugin the MAF sensor, that's trying to tell you something about the electrical harness.

Joe69

I did put a good used Maf sensor from my brother vw and now I keep getting code Po113 and I think it is related to the Air Intake Temperature sensor!! I don't know if there is a way to check this sensor, but I don't know where is located! Any ideas??

billr

wrench
Staff member
The IAT sensor is often part of the MAF sensor assembly. Again, codes changing every time you disconnect and reconnect the MAF sensor is a very strong hint that the connector or wiring quite close to it is bad!

Joe69

I cleaned and installed the original Maf sensor (the new sensor I bought was defective and my old sensor was still good at 65k miles) and replaced the O2 sensor closer to the engine and all codes are gone, thank you for all feedback!! :ROFL