2002 4 Cyl Toyota Camry P0401 Insufficent EGR Flow Code

nickb2...as per reply #5, this is a 2001 2.2L Camry. I know....I know...Keeps foolin' me too...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ha, forgot I posted already on that. My bad, I was off on a wild goose chase for a non existing egr valve. :ROFL :eek: Maybe the admin/moderator can change the header to a 2001 camry 4 banger/2.2l :idea: ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Had some trouble with my pdf virtual printer, anyways, here are some pdf's to check out if they have not already been posted.

Ace 2 is a pretty complete egr check. Try to follow it the best you can. Need to make sure those VSV's are being controlled by ECM and such. You can actuate them with 12v direct as I assume you don"t have a toyota scanner in your toolbox.
Check to see if they work and pass shop air through when energized and not through air breather.

You could also simulate a drive pattern with a led test light in backprobe, hard to do if you don't have skills and long enough wire to see led tied to a wiper for example while driving in said drive cycle which is in ACE 2. This will help to see if ECM is commanding them on as supposed to.

It is not often a ECM will fail, I have swapped many, many VSV's on these 2.2l's. However, better not to rule out ECM.

Now here is me doing overtime on you 8) ;D Here is another link from Autozone which shows what I am saying to do. If by some miracle you have a scanner that actuates the vsv's, plz disregard this link, but I would definitely check it out.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528009266a

The backprobe with led light, well that is me being the paranoid guy that I am before condemning a ECM. I do that just to make sure!! :idea: ;) It will not tell you what voltage is getting there but at least you know ECM is doing it's job.

Don't forget to jump timing TE1 and E1 when doing vacuum checks.

Hope this helps, If you don't get rid of those codes, you are not seeing something. You are probably not passing emissions cuz canister is maybe throwing unburnt fumes back into exhaust and increasing NOx.

Feel free to thank me later ;D I spent almost 2 hours trying to find a egr on a 2002 and getting info out to you. Life is cool when you got time on your hands, although I wish I was working. :eek:

Attachments

T

ttrah

Re: 2001 4 Cyl Toyota Camry P0401 Insufficent EGR Flow Code

Thanks guys for following through. I know I originally posted it was a 2002 Camry in error, wish I could change it. I took a little break from this because the car runs great with the vaccum line to the EGR valve disconnected. The charcol cannister has been replaced and the latest piece replaced was the front CAT converter ( not because of this, because the flexible exhaust went bad and I bought it as one piece replacement). Hooked the vaccum hose back up and thought I was good. Unfortunately it through the code after 20 miles again. All the hoses and air lines look good and they seem to be correctly connected. I will review the PDF's closely and look if there is something I'm missing. The only thing I haven't checked is putting an Ohm meter on the two O2 sensors (1 before the CAT at the exhaust manifold and one after CAT in the exhaust pipe) The car will not pass emmissions now and they won't re-register it without passing emmissions. I have a year to figure this out or break down and bring it to someone with the right computer testing equipment. The days of laying on my back in the driveway working on are becoming less and less desireable.

T

ttrah

:ROFL :ROFL :ROFL :ROFL :ROFL
The check engine light is finally off w/ no more codes!!!!!! Thanks for everyone's support with this one. Now, you may say..... What the heck was causing the problem after all these months?
I actually stumbled on the problem and really have a hard time believing that it was the sole problem. Fact is the CE light is out and there are NO MORE CODES!!!! YEAH HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My last post said that I would check the resistance on the two O2 sensors, so I did. Stangely enough, they metered with the correct values so I plugged them back in and reset the code. Thinking that I was still in the same boat with no resolution...... The code never came back!!! I drove 1000 miles from CT to Bar Harbor and several Pts beyond without a code or issue! I can only think that one of the connectors was dirty and was the cause. When I got back to CT, I took them back off and hit them with some contact cleaner. I am just sooooo happy it is gone. Thanks everyone