2002 Ford Mustang abs light and traction control light on. No power fuse 37

kev2

wrench
Ivane are you now able to communicate with the PCM ?
I see mention of a code P1000... scan and post everything...

Sending the module out - why do you think its bad?

U code's are for communication issue - likely to be any module/component no guarantee its the ABS module

ivane21

The P1000 is the only code I get...which earlier in the thread is mentioned.
I just think the abs module since no scan tool can see it.
But if that CCRM is inexpensive then I'd try that.
I just want to throw some parts ar it.

No ses light.
I fixed the p0401 code a few weeks ago with a bad dpfe sensor. I wasn't sure it was bad but I did all the checks I could and decided to replace the dpfe sensor.
No more ses light.

But now abs light, traction control light, backfired, power loss, overheats in summer.(which has been on for years)
Seems that the CCRM would be a good part to throw at it...

ivane21

Update I bring the car back to my buddy. The U code is: U1262 I'll try and attach a picture of the screen at the shop.
I called the Ford deal and they no longer make the CCRM. Module in the passenger fenderwell...

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try looking at the pats module. Still hoping my virtual printer will work, GF drove her bike, will bring back my other laptop, maybe will post ecxact diagram for this particuler problem.

Btw, do you know how to backprobe? Can be done with a paper clip but I prefer my trusty herbrand kit, they don't make them anymore, but mac or snap sells them, just got to find the truck, but costly.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ivane21 said:
The P1000 is the only code I get...which earlier in the thread is mentioned.
I just think the abs module since no scan tool can see it.
But if that CCRM is inexpensive then I'd try that.
I just want to throw some parts ar it.

No ses light.
I fixed the p0401 code a few weeks ago with a bad dpfe sensor. I wasn't sure it was bad but I did all the checks I could and decided to replace the dpfe sensor.
No more ses light. |:|

But now abs light, traction control light, backfired, power loss, overheats in summer.(which has been on for years)
Seems that the CCRM would be a good part to throw at it...
Happy for this, here is me clapping hands.

The old man

Well in my opinion, if you take a closer look at the "Lenova" scanner that is shown, it shows that Code U1262. Looking to the right it tells you that you have a fault at the "SCP Date Fault J-1850 Bus. That is your Data Link Connector. The "J-1850 Bus" is pins #2 and #10 on you date link connector, as shown in my research. #2 on date link connector goes to pin #16 (Bus) positive on your program control module , #10 on your date link connector goes to pin #15 (Bus) negative on your program control module. And in my opinion, you are going to have to check the continuity of #2 and #10 wire from the date link connector to the PCM Pin #16 and Pin #15. If they show continuity and not open, the you will need to check for positive power at # 16 at the PCM with the key on. If all is well, then maybe someone else can come up with something, like a bad ABS module. Don't know.

That is the way I look at it, but other may disagree and that is fine. Welcome comments or corrections. There is a lot smarter mechanics on here than me. Just my $.02 worth.

Attachments

Mobile Dan

wrench
Factory Air Radiator Fan Controller Relay
Part No. 37517
Product Application(s)
2002 Ford Mustang

Rad Fan Controller; Controller Relay

$118.49 Advance Auto and O'reillys have these when I looked for you. Other venders probably have it also. This is the CCRM that lives in your fender. You do have the v6, right?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Dan, you rock, thx for tune, enjoying it right now :thx

If continuity tests are ok, must be a module, but backprobing is essential to diagnose a pcm, bcm, ccrm or other. Need to know if said module is receiving and sending, This rules out circuitry and grounds once checked out properly. You can throw parts at this all day, need to isolate all connectors, and once that is done, voila, you find module that is defective. As we all say, check for shorts to ground, and wirings are here for you. Old man gave awesome info, Dan also. If all else fails, may need dealer to check it out more profoundly. Was wishing this 3.8l stang would have been fixed by now. Not to be a as@#hole, but follow instructions, u will get it at some point in time :thx

ivane21

Dan thanks for the picture and research.
Old man thank you for the info on the bus connections.
How/where can I access the PCM to check continuity? And voltage?

NickD

wrench
Ford was using these boxes in the early 90's, but with a different name, forgot it already. Contained relays for the fuel pump and fan control, and a PNP power transistor for the AC clutch. Drilled out the rivets, and cleaned the contacts on the relay, also had to replace a blown PNP transistor in one.

Looking at the later model vehicles, that relay/fuse box is much larger with 15-20 such relays inside, Made in China with sealed boxes, expecting a lot more problems. No more real switches, just push buttons, all fired from the BCM or PCM for all functions, like fuel pump, aux power, fan control, DRL's, power door and trunk release locks, power windows, etc.

Prior to solid state, all relays were used, in like a telephone exchange office, point contact relays were out, only self cleaning sliding contacts where permitted. So guess what kind of relays you have in your car? The most unreliable relay ever made, and the cheapest. Also gold plated contacts were used, replaced by silver plated copper. One little carbon arc prevents these from making good contact.

Should advertise, you want problems, we've got problems. Worse case is a marginal contact, high resistance that dissipates lots of power that can cause an electrical fire. Guess why GM is having yet another recall with DRL's, a ten amp load. Decided to report these, as paying a 36 million buck fine is far more expensive for each offense.

Good engineers know all this stuff, but marketing dictates.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
hope this helps, think i finally got my virtual printer going :thx
, ouch :stop
damn, not yet

check circuit 914 (tb/og) and circuit 915 (pk/lb) with abs module connector disconnected, if voltage and continuity exists, look to abs module. The flowchart for his damn code is a long process, need to eliminate all modules, could be a trac switch, brake switch, GEM module etc.

Attachments

ivane21

Well its fixed.
Thank you everyone for all the help. I ran every test and basically came up with replace the ABS module.
I bring it to Ford to verify it and sure enough the module was bad.
$850 plus in tall and testing about $1100 if I wanted the 2 year unlimited warranty.

U1262 code bad module fixed
P0401 bad DPFE sensor fixed

They also found a cracked ignition coil. So I got a new one from Ford, replaced fuel filter, serpentine belt, throttle body/ egr gaskets, cleaned throttle body and mass air flow sensor. Cleaned and oiled the BBK air filter in fender well one tire had a buldge, replaced that and an oil change with Motorcraft oil and filter.

Like new again. Wife was so happy to have the lost power back. Haven't seen her smile like that for a while.

Thanks again guys!