2002 GMC Safari - Rain/Snow=No Go (AKA....My Last GM)

RickyBubbles

Getting closer. Put on the new coil and it started, but stupid me had the #4 and #6 wires reversed on the dist cap...so it didn't run well. Only let it idle a for a minute and shut it off. Found the crossed wires right away. Starts and drives good but does idle a bit rougher than normal...and the CEL is on steady since the plug wires were crossed. I'd blame the light on the boom boom juice, the starting fluid, and/or the crossed wires...but it won't go out...and I still have that rough idle. :( Looking like I'm going to have to have that code read, I guess. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

kev2

wrench
I think I read you removed the distributator???

IF moved it will set a code as the CKP-CMP correlation is likely off.....a scan tool will be needed to reset.....

RickyBubbles

Yes...the distributor was out. Before I took it out, I marked the position of the rotor and distributor itself. It looks like these don't rotate like the way you used to set timing. It looks like you either get it right on...or a gear tooth out...which is quite a bit. Pretty sure it's right back where it was and I didn't turn the engine when it was out. Is there a fine adjustment on these? I'm still getting rough idling and somewhat smelly exhaust. Is there something I can do or check with these sensors (CMP or CKP)? Thanks! RB

kev2

wrench
if cel is on.....yu will need to get the code.....someof the auto parts stores will do as a customer service....get tthe code pxxxx poost and someone will advise....

lets see what the code is before we do any adjustments...

RickyBubbles

Thanks again kev2. More info...it runs perfectly when first started...then the idle gradually gets worse and worse as it heats up...over 5 minutes...to the point that it almost starts shaking. Let it sit off 30 min and it will do it all the same again. Guess I'll get that code. ...and things were looking so good for awhile. :(

RickyBubbles

fixed :) Don't understand it, but here's the story. Me and the van had a good night's sleep. Got myself a code reader this afternoon. Read the codes P0155 and P0300 for "02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)" and "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected". Reset the codes... started the van...the CEL stayed out...drove in town and on hwy for an hour...van runs like new...no CEL. :) fixed