2002 Honda civic ex misfiring.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To answer your question nick, I think it is best kept to what I see daily. Way less SUV's, the canadian govn't is on the ball on that one.

Every time I have to fix a durango, it has an F on the license. That means it is a company car. Chrysler stopped importing those, but somehow circumvented canadian law so that every time you see a POS durango, it has an F sticker. . We don't want those gas guzzlers anymore.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now I have to auto correct, I am fine with that, but back in the day, a Lada Niva was great for sport hunting, cant get there here with a full size usa truck. Not made for our territory. The ruffians/russians sure understood that/

Words like heterogeneous ethanol and gasoline do not combine to form a new chemical, whoever said alcohol and gas don't mix wasn't thinking about ethanol, basically corn whisky. If a vehicle sits for a while, ethanol will settle to the bottom of the tank, fuel pump picks that up first, you are left using 80 octane fuel, talk about detonation and this is true for ethanol made vehicles.

Service station are suppose to be equipped with a blender to constantly mix the fuels.

You have E10, E15, and E85 describing the degrees of percentage of Alcohol, you sure are not saving any money buying E85, if you have a 20 mpg vehicle lucky to get 10 mpg!

Some vehicles will only take E10, but not E15, E10 will still eat away of your fuel system, but not as fast as E15, Spark plug electrodes are also eaten away, have to replace them more frequently.

Farmers do love it, live in farm country, only have to work during the short growing season and not fool around with cows, thus the price of a steak, like over 13 bucks a pound and diary products skyrocketed. Don't see corn rolls anymore jamming the fields with corn, can't even walk through, experts are claiming the land is being sucked dry of their nutrients.

Last but not least, not reducing carbon emissions, just as much fossil fuel is burnt to make the same volume of ethanol, only people pushing ethanol are complete idiots. Also a poison is added to it so you won't drink it, use to call it corn squeezings.

Ethanol loves to eat up your fuel injector pintles, in small engines the jets, was around 20 years ago our wonderful EPA outlawed adjustable jets, all fixed now, so when they plug up, engine won't start. Know a lot of people that don't know any better and pay 150 bucks for that little carb.

Mercury Outboard and Harley Davidson, two very strong Wisconsin corporations were responsible for bringing ethanol free gas, but mostly to northern Wisconsin, even large cities like Portland only sell ethanol, but most of the people on the west coast are a little nuts anyway, actually not the people, but those in government.

I could not use ethanol in my 82 motorhome, 86 boat, or 88 Supra, it cost a lot more to manufacture ethanol, but was government supported so a hell of a lot cheaper than buying ethanol free.

Don't use it either in my E15 car, too easy not to buy a mix and only get 80 octane, happened more than once. 80 octane doesn't do very well with an engine is a 11:1 compression ratio.

First go around with the government was back in 1973. just purchased a Buick Rivera that required leaded gas, wasn't a year later came out with unleaded fuel that increased the combustion chamber temperature from 2,100*F to over 2,700, talk about burnt out exhaust valves and holes in pistons.

Then I was able to buy Canadian head gaskets, 455 had a 11:1 compression ratio dropped it to 9:1, Canada did not have high octane fuel. I was able to find a 1972 455 intake manifold from my friendly wrecking yard, that is history today for 15 bucks, including the carb with a venturi vacuum port, thermal vacuum and EGR valve that took me less than a half a day to replace both the head gaskets and intake so I could use unleaded gas. Back then only 88 octane was available, reason for dropping the CR. Still were selling some leaded gas, but instead of 40 cents a gallon was a buck sixty, only had about 10% of the lead and only low octane.

Just a little tiny neoprene hose on that carb opened the EGR valve, if that fell off many did, would be in for a 700 buck valve job, that's more like over 8,000 bucks today with inflation. I put clamps on mine.

My 455 was not a 455 anymore, more like a 320, but our friendly president, decreased the interstate speed limit from 70 to 55 mph, so really didn't need that extra power. Another A-hole if that guy had an ounce of brains, 90% of the driving was done in over crowded cities.

Other thing he did, was the buck was no longer backed up by gold by executive decision, not one president reverse that. So that buck today is only worth 16 cents, this is a government hidden tax. He got Ford to pardon him before Ford could finish his oath.

You got me started on this subject, we have a known 12,000 supply of methane, and a lot more is generated by sewage plants. Much lower carbon content and can use that to power our vehicles. Was talk about closing down our ethanol plants, but more concerned with the investors than the general population.

Power of the oil companies, back then the government was regulating the price of fuel, oil companies got that deregulated, but wasn't too bad, only went from 30 to 40 cents per US gallon. Its a bit more today and has been as $4.55 per gallon.

I was flying a lot back then, aviation gas was 20 cents per gallon, today over six bucks, but insurance rates increased by over 2000%, bit too much for my budget.

What was not controlled back then was the cost of propane fuel, built in home in the country using propane at only 9 cents per gallon, that was 90,000 BTU. Overnight in skyrocketed to over $1.60 a gallon. 1000 gallon tank wasn't 80 bucks anymore, more like $1,280.00 that hurt.

Ethanol doesn't eat up fuel system instantly, with just one fillup can be okay, but not over a six month period.

One good thing I can say about Japanese vehicles, China is still pissed off at them from WW II so won't sell them any of their crap, but US manufacturers are using as much ass 30% of their crap, is changing now, but didn't care to buy US stuff.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... are you serious, a 2002 that doesn't have hydraulic lifters? I thought "valve adjustment" went away in the 1970s.

Screw or shim adjusters don't freeze up like hydraulic lifters.

Dan's chart above is not complete, each adjustment requires a different crankshaft angle.

My 88 Supra uses shims about an inch in diameter, have a special tool to replace them and a can full of shims. If I don't have the correct thickness use a surface grinder. Honda's were easy, Supra needs all that turbo stuff removed first even to replace the spark plugs, suppose to be a fun job.