Honda
Model
Odyssey
Year
Miles
Engine
?
2002 Honda Odyssey

When I drive the car on the highway for about an hour it starts vibrating like going over a bunch of little potholes. If I let off the gas pedal just a bit it stops for a little while then starts back up? I drive, let off the gas, then drive, let off the gas, etc....

What could be the problem?

billr

wrench
Staff member
My guess? A CV (constant velocity) joint in one of the drive axles.

grcauto

Those wheel and suspension parts don't need time to do their thing. I think it's likely tranny.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, the trans/diff is another good possibility, but the CVs do have plenty of greased parts that will change when warmed up. Same with wheel bearings.

NickD

wrench
Call it limited lubrication for hub bearings half axles, suspension bushings, all the engine driving components, etc.

Have to block the vehicle up so the wheels can turn under the suspension so at normal level, get underneath, you can see and feel what's vibrating.

Another problem that is erratic, is road salt, gets inside the wheel rim, drips to the bottom of the rim and freezes really knocking your wheels out of balance. Have to get your vehicle warm someplace to get rid of those inside rim ice spots.

NickD

wrench
Whoever came up with lubricated for life wasn't a very good friend, 1965 Buick had zerk fittings every where, U and ball joints sure needed a shot of new grease every once in awhile. Grease is like gasoline both evaporate, but grease is not as fast as gas, but still evaporates.

Had over 330k miles on that Buick, still running fine, but the government killed it with road salt.

You can still purchase self tapping zerk fittings, grease, and a grease gun. Done this several new vehicles without running suspension problems. But I just haven't learned how to deal with road salt.

Another problem for manufacturers is if they put just a little extra in their vehicles, they won't sell as many new ones. Semi's can go 3 million miles before requiring an overhaul, airline jet engine are good for 25,000 hours, our vehicles are good for one pot hole.