2002 Intrepid p0344

fix_it

I have a 2002 Intrepid with the 2.7 engine. It has 65000 miles. Back when it had 25000 or so miles on it, when I hit a bump the check engine light came on and it wouldn't run right. It was under warranty so I took it back and they replaced the cam sensor. Intermittently since the warranty expired I have had the same problem. I can reproduce the problem 100% of the time. On the road to my work, there is a place in the pavement that was cut out and not filled in level. It is about a 1" or 1 1/2" depression. If I hit it above 20 MPH the check engine light comes on and it seems that the RPMS are being limited (in other, when you press on the accelerator the engine cuts out and then back in as the RPM drops, over and over). If you cycle the key off and back on the light stays, but the engine runs normally. The code that comes up is P0344 "Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent".

Now here is the kicker. I can shake the connectors on the ECM while it is running and the light will come on and it sets the code. I can do it over an over. Clear the code, shake the ECM, light comes on. I wonder if that wasn't the problem back when the dealer worked on it? I'm pretty sure that the ECM is under warranty for 80,000 miles if I can just convince them that it is bad. What's the odds that is is a bad solder joint in the ECM verses a loose connector in the plug? It seems that the wiring harness is secured pretty tight, so I can't imagine it moving around any but i'd like to check it out. Does anyone happen to have the pinout for the ECM to show where the camshaft sensor wires are? I can fix a loose connection, but I have no idea which wires to look at.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
What you need to do is isolate the wires from the ECM, You got lucky that you found the bad area so fast. Now, by isolate the wires I mean to stabilize them so you can gently tap the ecm while the wires cannot move even a little. If the problem will surface with the wires isolated then you can simply tell the dealer this is what you did and he should warrant the ecm. If that does not make the light come on then the connection is probably bad at the connector itself, more common/probable. This happens from poor testing (inserting a big probe into a little hole) or backprobing too deep, also very common. The dealer might have done this in testing the cam sensor last time. AlldataDiy would have the pinouts for you that you can print for a very modest fee. Sometimes if you just take the connector from the ECM and look really close then you can actually see the one or two that are spread open more then they should be.
We had one at the shop that the factory had crimped the casing instead of the wire, they have replaced 3 computers before the customer came to us. I would recommend looking at the connector first as you may have more then one spread socket and by just looking for the specific cam sensor wires, you might miss other sockets that will give you trouble later. Post back, Transman